Fwd: Connection pooling for VM protocol?

Fwd: Connection pooling for VM protocol?

paulgale
Hi,

Connection pooling is generally recommended as a good thing. However, is
pooling of VM protocol (vm://) based connections
required/advised/nonsensical when communicating between Camel and a broker
in which it is embedded? Please explain.

From what I have read the VM protocol bypasses the TCP stack, therefore I'm
inclined to think it's not necessary. Regardless, that doesn't necessarily
imply that there isn't a cost associated with creating and destroying these
vm:// connections such that it wouldn't benefit from pooling.

Thanks,
Paul

Re: Connection pooling for VM protocol?

gtully
the broker maintains some per connection state, connectionId and
clientId to enforce the single clientId in use jms requirement, this
can be an area of thread contention on heavily loaded systems that
open/close many connections.
So even for vm connections (where there is no tcp socket) there will
be a pooling benefit.

But the age old answer is to 'ask the computer' for your particular use case.

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com

Re: Fwd: Connection pooling for VM protocol?

artnaseef
Connection pooling is a solution to the problem of overhead in creating and discarding connections when using a technology that doesn't support long-lived connections.

If the technology used is straight JMS, there should be no need to use pooling.

What client technology is it?