First board report of 2020

12

First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Happy New Year everyone!

Please take a few minutes of your time to submit your contributions to the
latest report to the ASF board:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735

This report must be submitted by Jan 8, so please don't wait.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

jbonofre
Hi Bruce,

Happy new year to you as well !

I added some content about ActiveMQ (releases, stats, overall activity).
Please let me know if it's OK for you.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

Robbie Gemmell
You mentioned on the 5.15.11 vote thread that a 5.16.0 vote would
happen in late November, but it was suggested to skip that particular
week and so folks had returned from holidays around US Thanksgiving.
Its been a bit longer now, but is the intent still to release 5.16.0
very soon? I ask as the text added in the report draft indicates
5.16.0 will include JMS 2 support, but there doesnt seem to have been
work committed on that as yet. If thats the case it would seem
surprising to include in 5.16.0 at this point, several weeks after
indication it was primed for release, instead of say doing 5.16.0 and
only then adding potentially large changes afterwards towards a 5.17.0
following the needed time to bake them.

The mailing list stats should probably be removed from the report, and
just a summary line given. The board have in the past typically asked
for the stats not to be c&p from the reporter tool unless they show
important details. It seems like all they show is that it was a
holiday filled quarter and so some things were lower volume than the
prior one without thier effect.

I tweaked the 5.15.11 release info to use its actual Nov 25th release date.

Robbie

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 07:14, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> Happy new year to you as well !
>
> I added some content about ActiveMQ (releases, stats, overall activity).
> Please let me know if it's OK for you.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 06/01/2020 06:28, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> > Happy New Year everyone!
> >
> > Please take a few minutes of your time to submit your contributions to the
> > latest report to the ASF board:
> >
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735
> >
> > This report must be submitted by Jan 8, so please don't wait.
> >
> > Bruce
> >

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

christopher.l.shannon
JMS 2.0 is definitely not going into 5.16.0 but maybe some future release
if someone wanted to do the work.  However,  I seriously doubt 5.x will
ever support it as it would be a lot of work to update the broker including
the datastores to support it and Artemis already has support.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 5:53 AM Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You mentioned on the 5.15.11 vote thread that a 5.16.0 vote would
> happen in late November, but it was suggested to skip that particular
> week and so folks had returned from holidays around US Thanksgiving.
> Its been a bit longer now, but is the intent still to release 5.16.0
> very soon? I ask as the text added in the report draft indicates
> 5.16.0 will include JMS 2 support, but there doesnt seem to have been
> work committed on that as yet. If thats the case it would seem
> surprising to include in 5.16.0 at this point, several weeks after
> indication it was primed for release, instead of say doing 5.16.0 and
> only then adding potentially large changes afterwards towards a 5.17.0
> following the needed time to bake them.
>
> The mailing list stats should probably be removed from the report, and
> just a summary line given. The board have in the past typically asked
> for the stats not to be c&p from the reporter tool unless they show
> important details. It seems like all they show is that it was a
> holiday filled quarter and so some things were lower volume than the
> prior one without thier effect.
>
> I tweaked the 5.15.11 release info to use its actual Nov 25th release date.
>
> Robbie
>
> On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 07:14, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bruce,
> >
> > Happy new year to you as well !
> >
> > I added some content about ActiveMQ (releases, stats, overall activity).
> > Please let me know if it's OK for you.
> >
> > Regards
> > JB
> >
> > On 06/01/2020 06:28, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> > > Happy New Year everyone!
> > >
> > > Please take a few minutes of your time to submit your contributions to
> the
> > > latest report to the ASF board:
> > >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735
> > >
> > > This report must be submitted by Jan 8, so please don't wait.
> > >
> > > Bruce
> > >

> > --
> > Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> > [hidden email]
> > http://blog.nanthrax.net
> > Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

jbonofre
Hi Robbie,

yeah, 5.16.0 is still my top priority and it's almost ready. JDK 9+ is
OK (including on Karaf). JMS 2.0 is "optional" for 5.16.0 (but I think
it's worth to try to have it). So, it's more an indication in terms of
"best effort", not a strong commitment.
In term of timeline, 5.16.0 could be submitted to vote end of next week.

For the report, we should use the reporter.apache.org that create the
report skeleton for us.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

jbonofre

agree, but I started the work about JMS 2.0 first simple support (both
broker and connection factory sides), and it seems to not be so
large/impacting.
That's why I proposed to support it if the effort is not so huge.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

christopher.l.shannon
JB,

The biggest problem is going to be the datastore for JMS 2.0 to support
shared subscriptions.  You would need to track shared subscriptions in the
store so that will be a good amount of work to make sure it doesn't break
anything.  This will also require a new openwire version for storing as
well as for client communication.  It also changes the semantics a bit with
how dispatch will work as shared subscriptions are more queue like.  An
alternative might be to do something under the covers with composite
destinations to fake shared subscriptions but having native support in the
broker would be much better in my opinion.

Things like scheduled messaging are not a big deal as 5.x already supports
it.  Also the clients should be fairly easy to update as well.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:08 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> agree, but I started the work about JMS 2.0 first simple support (both
> broker and connection factory sides), and it seems to not be so
> large/impacting.
> That's why I proposed to support it if the effort is not so huge.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 06/01/2020 12:30, Christopher Shannon wrote:
> > JMS 2.0 is definitely not going into 5.16.0 but maybe some future release
> > if someone wanted to do the work.  However,  I seriously doubt 5.x will
> > ever support it as it would be a lot of work to update the broker
> including
> > the datastores to support it and Artemis already has support.
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 5:53 AM Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> You mentioned on the 5.15.11 vote thread that a 5.16.0 vote would
> >> happen in late November, but it was suggested to skip that particular
> >> week and so folks had returned from holidays around US Thanksgiving.
> >> Its been a bit longer now, but is the intent still to release 5.16.0
> >> very soon? I ask as the text added in the report draft indicates
> >> 5.16.0 will include JMS 2 support, but there doesnt seem to have been
> >> work committed on that as yet. If thats the case it would seem
> >> surprising to include in 5.16.0 at this point, several weeks after
> >> indication it was primed for release, instead of say doing 5.16.0 and
> >> only then adding potentially large changes afterwards towards a 5.17.0
> >> following the needed time to bake them.
> >>
> >> The mailing list stats should probably be removed from the report, and
> >> just a summary line given. The board have in the past typically asked
> >> for the stats not to be c&p from the reporter tool unless they show
> >> important details. It seems like all they show is that it was a
> >> holiday filled quarter and so some things were lower volume than the
> >> prior one without thier effect.
> >>
> >> I tweaked the 5.15.11 release info to use its actual Nov 25th release
> date.
> >>
> >> Robbie

> activity).

> >> the
> >>>>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

Robbie Gemmell
Even if it were almost complete, which it doesnt sound like it is,
such a significant change would still seem better positioned for a
5.17.0 at this point than dropped into an almost-ready 5.16.0 at the
last moment.

Either way I would suggest updating the draft report to be clearer as
it doesnt currently read in line with the below, saying "5.16.0 will
be an important milestone with full JDK 9+ support and JMS 2.0 support
as well."

The example skeleton on reporter.apache.org doesnt include the stats
from what I recall as they often asked folks not to include them, so
I'd drop those. I just give a summary line in reports.

Robbie

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 12:06, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Robbie,
>
> yeah, 5.16.0 is still my top priority and it's almost ready. JDK 9+ is
> OK (including on Karaf). JMS 2.0 is "optional" for 5.16.0 (but I think
> it's worth to try to have it). So, it's more an indication in terms of
> "best effort", not a strong commitment.
> In term of timeline, 5.16.0 could be submitted to vote end of next week.
>
> For the report, we should use the reporter.apache.org that create the
> report skeleton for us.
>
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 06/01/2020 11:53, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> > You mentioned on the 5.15.11 vote thread that a 5.16.0 vote would
> > happen in late November, but it was suggested to skip that particular
> > week and so folks had returned from holidays around US Thanksgiving.
> > Its been a bit longer now, but is the intent still to release 5.16.0
> > very soon? I ask as the text added in the report draft indicates
> > 5.16.0 will include JMS 2 support, but there doesnt seem to have been
> > work committed on that as yet. If thats the case it would seem
> > surprising to include in 5.16.0 at this point, several weeks after
> > indication it was primed for release, instead of say doing 5.16.0 and
> > only then adding potentially large changes afterwards towards a 5.17.0
> > following the needed time to bake them.
> >
> > The mailing list stats should probably be removed from the report, and
> > just a summary line given. The board have in the past typically asked
> > for the stats not to be c&p from the reporter tool unless they show
> > important details. It seems like all they show is that it was a
> > holiday filled quarter and so some things were lower volume than the
> > prior one without thier effect.
> >
> > I tweaked the 5.15.11 release info to use its actual Nov 25th release date.
> >
> > Robbie
> >
> > On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 at 07:14, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Bruce,
> >>
> >> Happy new year to you as well !
> >>
> >> I added some content about ActiveMQ (releases, stats, overall activity).
> >> Please let me know if it's OK for you.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> JB

> >> --
> >> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>
> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

christopher.l.shannon
I agree with Robbie, it's a -1 from me to try and include JMS 2.0 at this
point in 5.16.0 as it's way too late to try and add such a big change.  It
needs to be 5.17.0 or higher.

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 7:23 AM Robbie Gemmell <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> > > 5.16.0 will include JMS 2 support, but there doesnt seem to have been
> > > work committed on that as yet. If thats the case it would seem
> > > surprising to include in 5.16.0 at this point, several weeks after
> > > indication it was primed for release, instead of say doing 5.16.0 and
> > > only then adding potentially large changes afterwards towards a 5.17.0
> > > following the needed time to bake them.
> > >
> > > The mailing list stats should probably be removed from the report, and
> > > just a summary line given. The board have in the past typically asked
> > > for the stats not to be c&p from the reporter tool unless they show
> > > important details. It seems like all they show is that it was a
> > > holiday filled quarter and so some things were lower volume than the
> > > prior one without thier effect.
> > >
> > > I tweaked the 5.15.11 release info to use its actual Nov 25th release

Yes, so JDK 9+ on 5.16.0 and JMS 2.0 after 5.16.0. Fair enough, I'm
moving forward like this.

Thanks for your feedback guys.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Hi JB,

Thank you for your contributions! All the information you provided is very
helpful.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Hi Robbie,

Thank you for your contributions! You are correct that the board does not
want a complete copy/paste from the Reporter tool, so I usually just grab a
few relevant stats from it and add them to the report.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Hi JB,

As Robbie mentioned, the board has complained in the past when the ActiveMQ
report included a large amount of copy/paste from the Reporter tool. This
is why I am send emails to this list begging for contributions from the
folks who are currently toiling on the project.

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Hi All,

I'm happy to see that the report triggered a discussion regarding the JMS
2.0 impl.

Thank you to everyone for the hard work on this major new feature and the
JDK 9+ support!

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Can someone please provide an update on both the Artemis and the NMS
sections in the board report?

Bruce

On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 10:28 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Happy New Year everyone!
>
> Please take a few minutes of your time to submit your contributions to the
> latest report to the ASF board:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735
>
> This report must be submitted by Jan 8, so please don't wait.
>
> Bruce
>
> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>
> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

Havret
Hi Bruce,

I will prepare sth regarding NMS bits.

Krzysztof

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:23 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can someone please provide an update on both the Artemis and the NMS
> sections in the board report?
>
> Bruce
>
> On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 10:28 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Happy New Year everyone!
> >
> > Please take a few minutes of your time to submit your contributions to
> the
> > latest report to the ASF board:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735
> >
> > This report must be submitted by Jan 8, so please don't wait.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > --
> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >
> > Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
> >

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>
> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: First board report of 2020

Havret
I don't have write have write access, so pasting it here:

*ActiveMQ NMS:*
- The first official release of Apache ActiveMQ NMS.AMQP Client 1.8.0 (Nov
10)
- Apache.NMS.AMQP NuGet package published.
- Further work involve fixing bugs and making small improvements.

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 8:45 PM Krzysztof <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
> I will prepare sth regarding NMS bits.
>
> Krzysztof
>
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:23 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Can someone please provide an update on both the Artemis and the NMS
>> sections in the board report?
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> On Sun, Jan 5, 2020 at 10:28 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Happy New Year everyone!
>> >
>> > Please take a few minutes of your time to submit your contributions to
>> the
>> > latest report to the ASF board:
>> >

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735
>> >
>> > This report must be submitted by Jan 8, so please don't wait.
>> >
>> > Bruce
>> >
>> > --
>> > perl -e 'print
>> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>> >
>> > Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
>> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>> >

>> --
>> perl -e 'print
>> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>>
>> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

Bruce Snyder
Thank you, Krzysztof.

Can someone please provide some details for the Artemis project? This
report must be submitted tomorrow.

Bruce

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM Krzysztof <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't have write have write access, so pasting it here:
>
> *ActiveMQ NMS:*
> - The first official release of Apache ActiveMQ NMS.AMQP Client 1.8.0 (Nov
> 10)
> - Apache.NMS.AMQP NuGet package published.
> - Further work involve fixing bugs and making small improvements.
>
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 8:45 PM Krzysztof <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Bruce,
> >
> > I will prepare sth regarding NMS bits.
> >
> > Krzysztof
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 4:23 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Can someone please provide an update on both the Artemis and the NMS
> >> sections in the board report?
> >>
> >> Bruce

> >> the
> >> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735

> );'

> >> --
> >> perl -e 'print
> >> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >>
> >> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
> >> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: First board report of 2020

jbertram
I'll add some notes for Artemis.

Justin

On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 2:47 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you, Krzysztof.
>
> Can someone please provide some details for the Artemis project? This
> report must be submitted tomorrow.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM Krzysztof <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I don't have write have write access, so pasting it here:
> >
> > *ActiveMQ NMS:*
> > - The first official release of Apache ActiveMQ NMS.AMQP Client 1.8.0
> (Nov
> > 10)
> > - Apache.NMS.AMQP NuGet package published.
> > - Further work involve fixing bugs and making small improvements.
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 7, 2020 at 8:45 PM Krzysztof <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bruce,
> > >
> > > I will prepare sth regarding NMS bits.
> > >
> > > Krzysztof

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=144509735

> > );'

> );'

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>
> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: First board report of 2020

jbertram
To be clear, this report covers October, November, and December 2019, right?

Justin