Quantcast

Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

johneboyer
I’m planning to implement the shared file system master slave using NFSv4 on Ubuntu (lucid) server. However, my Linux consultant is telling me that it’s not going to work and has refused to waste time setting it up because he says the exclusive locking will not work.

Is he correct? Does anyone have experience successfully configuring shared file system master slave using NFSv4?

Thank you for your time.

RE: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

edan
I think that's kinda funny, really.  ActiveMQ's website has a warning about potential problems with locking under NFSv3,  http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html and IBM MQ's similar "multi-instance" mode *requires* NFSv4 for "proper lock handling."

I only briefly tested AMQ's master-slave using NFSv3 and it worked well-enough in simple test cases.  FWIW, we ended up going with a single server so we could use the SAN directly and relied on VmWare for a relatively quick recovery from a server failure.

Re: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

Johan Edstrom
Sure it does.

johneboyer
He doesn’t buy it. Unfortunately, I’m not an NFS expert so I feel compelled to defer to his expertise.

Re: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

Johan Edstrom
Does he honestly think that WIki entry was written as if it just came from the mountain and behind a burning bush?

On May 19, 2011, at 1:33 PM, johneboyer wrote:

> He doesn’t buy it. Unfortunately, I’m not an NFS expert so I feel compelled
> to defer to his expertise.

Re: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

Johan Edstrom
And here is probably how you want to export it...

rw,wdelay,nohide,insecure,no_root_squash,no_subtree_check,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534

And your slave will say, IOException file "bla bal" could not be locked.

Once it times out, you failover.

On May 19, 2011, at 1:33 PM, johneboyer wrote:

> He doesn’t buy it. Unfortunately, I’m not an NFS expert so I feel compelled
> to defer to his expertise.

Re: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

johneboyer
Thank you for the advise. Sounds like I need to go forward this project with a willing Linux consultant.

I’ll post back to the forum with the results.

Regards,
John Boyer

RE: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

Allen Reese
I know that we did some internal testing with NFSv4, and it worked.
Now NFSv3 will not work, it's a matter of when you will get corruption.

--Allen

lexsoto
It surely works; we are using it with no problems.

Good luck!

RE: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

johneboyer
Yep, I hired a new Linux consultant and appears to be working like a charm. Thank you.

FYI: Here’s the output on the slave.

2011-05-26 13:44:09,299 | INFO  | Database /<sharedMount>/lock is locked... waiting 10 seconds for the database to be unlocked. Reason: java.io.IOException: Failed to create directory ‘/<sharedMount>' | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | WrapperSimpleAppMain

Re: Feasibility of Shared File System Master Slave using NFSv4

Johan Edstrom
That looks great!