Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

DepestBlue
Dear all,


I constuct a distributed business platform based on the message transformation via ActiveMQ. Most of the time it works fine.
Recently, I found one critical(The broker will shutdown once the following exception occurred!!!) issues during normally running:
2013-04-14 13:20:21,140 | ERROR | KahaDB failed to store to Journal | org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4875
java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed
at java.io.FileDescriptor.sync(Native Method)
at org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender.processQueue(DataFileAppender.java:367)
at org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender$1.run(DataFileAppender.java:188)
The test client app is normal JMS sender and receiver. Just I want know if it's a OS or Hardware level error.
I would much appreciate if any help or suggestion!!!


Thanks a lot,
Zhuran Li
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

ceposta
You're probably going to find this is a OS/hardware/network issue. Can you
tell more about your set up here? Are you on a VM? NFS mount shared drive?
what OS, etc, etc?


On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM, lzr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
>
> I constuct a distributed business platform based on the message
> transformation via ActiveMQ. Most of the time it works fine.
> Recently, I found one critical(The broker will shutdown once the following
> exception occurred!!!) issues during normally running:
> 2013-04-14 13:20:21,140 | ERROR | KahaDB failed to store to Journal |
> org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | ActiveMQ Transport:
> tcp:///xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4875
> java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed
> at java.io.FileDescriptor.sync(Native Method)
> at
> org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender.processQueue(DataFileAppender.java:367)
> at
> org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender$1.run(DataFileAppender.java:188)
> The test client app is normal JMS sender and receiver. Just I want know if
> it's a OS or Hardware level error.
> I would much appreciate if any help or suggestion!!!
>
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Zhuran Li




--
*Christian Posta*
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
twitter: @christianposta
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re:Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

DepestBlue
The machine is a phsical machine with good Hardware set up; What's more, no cluster, no NFS (LOCAL Storage).

At 2013-06-18 19:55:26,"Christian Posta" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>You're probably going to find this is a OS/hardware/network issue. Can you
>tell more about your set up here? Are you on a VM? NFS mount shared drive?
>what OS, etc, etc?
>
>
>On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM, lzr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>>
>> I constuct a distributed business platform based on the message
>> transformation via ActiveMQ. Most of the time it works fine.
>> Recently, I found one critical(The broker will shutdown once the following
>> exception occurred!!!) issues during normally running:
>> 2013-04-14 13:20:21,140 | ERROR | KahaDB failed to store to Journal |
>> org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | ActiveMQ Transport:
>> tcp:///xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4875
>> java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed
>> at java.io.FileDescriptor.sync(Native Method)
>> at
>> org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender.processQueue(DataFileAppender.java:367)
>> at
>> org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender$1.run(DataFileAppender.java:188)
>> The test client app is normal JMS sender and receiver. Just I want know if
>> it's a OS or Hardware level error.
>> I would much appreciate if any help or suggestion!!!
>>
>>
>> Thanks a lot,
>> Zhuran Li
>
>
>
>
>--
>*Christian Posta*
>http://www.christianposta.com/blog
>twitter: @christianposta
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

gtully
any disk space issues?

On 18 June 2013 13:27, lzr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The machine is a phsical machine with good Hardware set up; What's more, no cluster, no NFS (LOCAL Storage).
>
> At 2013-06-18 19:55:26,"Christian Posta" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>You're probably going to find this is a OS/hardware/network issue. Can you
>>tell more about your set up here? Are you on a VM? NFS mount shared drive?
>>what OS, etc, etc?
>>
>>
>>On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM, lzr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>>
>>> I constuct a distributed business platform based on the message
>>> transformation via ActiveMQ. Most of the time it works fine.
>>> Recently, I found one critical(The broker will shutdown once the following
>>> exception occurred!!!) issues during normally running:
>>> 2013-04-14 13:20:21,140 | ERROR | KahaDB failed to store to Journal |
>>> org.apache.activemq.store.kahadb.MessageDatabase | ActiveMQ Transport:
>>> tcp:///xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4875
>>> java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed
>>> at java.io.FileDescriptor.sync(Native Method)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender.processQueue(DataFileAppender.java:367)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.kahadb.journal.DataFileAppender$1.run(DataFileAppender.java:188)
>>> The test client app is normal JMS sender and receiver. Just I want know if
>>> it's a OS or Hardware level error.
>>> I would much appreciate if any help or suggestion!!!
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot,
>>> Zhuran Li
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>--
>>*Christian Posta*
>>http://www.christianposta.com/blog
>>twitter: @christianposta



--
http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

AkashRajkumar
In reply to this post by DepestBlue
Hello,

have you found any solution for this ? we are facing a similar error, the broker goes down and we have observed this message in the logs and are unable to proceed further as the network team says there are no issues in the network itself and everything is clean. the storage is also relatively free and hence no issues observed there either.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

AkashRajkumar
In reply to this post by ceposta
Hi ,

Can you please confirm how can we investigate further to find out if the issue is with hardware/OS/Network ?  what sort of information/evidence needs to be gathered to prove this as an issue due to hardware/OS/Network ??
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

clebertsuconic
There's probably a race condition somewhere. Something closing the
File before the sync is done...

Did you stop the server at the time it happened?


For instance, the following test will throw the same exception:



public class FileTest {

   @Test
   public void test() throws Exception {
      File file = new File("./target/deleteme.bin");
      file.delete();
      FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
      out.write(new byte[] {0, 1, 2, 3});
      out.close();
      out.getFD().sync();
   }
}

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM, AkashRajkumar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Can you please confirm how can we investigate further to find out if the
> issue is with hardware/OS/Network ?  what sort of information/evidence needs
> to be gathered to prove this as an issue due to hardware/OS/Network ??
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Fatal-Error-java-io-SyncFailedException-sync-failed-tp4668295p4721033.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.



--
Clebert Suconic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fatal Error: java.io.SyncFailedException: sync failed

Tim Bain
Also, are there any other errors in the logs?  You say that this error took
down the broker, but it might be that some other error or condition took
down the broker and this error was simply collateral damage from the
process of shutting down.

On Jan 12, 2017 2:27 PM, "Clebert Suconic" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

There's probably a race condition somewhere. Something closing the
File before the sync is done...

Did you stop the server at the time it happened?


For instance, the following test will throw the same exception:



public class FileTest {

   @Test
   public void test() throws Exception {
      File file = new File("./target/deleteme.bin");
      file.delete();
      FileOutputStream out = new FileOutputStream(file);
      out.write(new byte[] {0, 1, 2, 3});
      out.close();
      out.getFD().sync();
   }
}

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM, AkashRajkumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Can you please confirm how can we investigate further to find out if the
> issue is with hardware/OS/Network ?  what sort of information/evidence
needs
> to be gathered to prove this as an issue due to hardware/OS/Network ??
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://activemq.2283324.n4.
nabble.com/Fatal-Error-java-io-SyncFailedException-sync-
failed-tp4668295p4721033.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.



--
Clebert Suconic