Durable subscription queries and ways to handle rogue durable subscribers

Durable subscription queries and ways to handle rogue durable subscribers

xabhi
Hi,
I wanted to know a few things about durable topic subscription which i couldn't find on ActiveMQ documentation

1. Is it possible to purge all pending messages on the durable topic subscription when the subscriber is not active, similar to purge operation on the queues?

2. Is there a way to configure offlineDurableSubscriberTimeout on a per topic basis? Currently my understanding is that it is a global setting (http://activemq.apache.org/manage-durable-subscribers.html)

The problem I am facing is that I have a topic with a producer that produces throughout the day with a quite a high number of messages and if the durable subscriber goes down for more than a few hours then a lot of messages gets piled up. This has caused issues several times like -  activemq instance gets unresponsive due to high memory consumption, the kahadb gets corrupted because we have manually delete kahadb files as destory method doesn't work in this situation etc.

Is there any other strategy to handle above situation?

Thanks,
Abhi