Duplicate Messages

ldebello
Hi,

I have just raised a JIRA Ticket
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-2156. We are facing an issue
having duplicate message using Artemis 1.5.5 in cluster with exclusive
divert.

I don't know how is the formal process to report a JIRA or let you know
about the ticket, that is the reason of this post.

Regards,
Luis

Re: Duplicate Messages

clebertsuconic
I'm trying to understand the issue... you have a 2.6.2 server.. and
the issue happens when y ou use a 1.5.x client? is that correct?
On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 2:41 PM ldebello <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just raised a JIRA Ticket
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-2156. We are facing an issue
> having duplicate message using Artemis 1.5.5 in cluster with exclusive
> divert.
>
> I don't know how is the formal process to report a JIRA or let you know
> about the ticket, that is the reason of this post.
>
> Regards,
> Luis

Re: Duplicate Messages

clebertsuconic
There's a break on prefixes between 1.x and 2.x.

The fact that you have a divert on a prefixes address.. I'm not sure
what could happen between your routes.

Can you remove the prefixes and only use 2.x clients?

if you really want to mix this.. we would need to look at
compatibility tests between 1.x and 2.x with a prefix.

there's a way to set prefixes on the ConnectionFactory.. perhaps that
would help you (it's actually how we integrated in Wildfly). But if
you could just move up the clients it would make things easier for
you.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 2:44 PM Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to understand the issue... you have a 2.6.2 server.. and
> the issue happens when y ou use a 1.5.x client? is that correct?
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 2:41 PM ldebello <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just raised a JIRA Ticket
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-2156. We are facing an issue
> > having duplicate message using Artemis 1.5.5 in cluster with exclusive
> > divert.
> >
> > I don't know how is the formal process to report a JIRA or let you know
> > about the ticket, that is the reason of this post.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Luis
> >

> > --
> > Sent from: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-User-f2341805.html
>

> --
> Clebert Suconic

Re: Duplicate Messages

ldebello
Hi Clebert,

Thanks for your response, the issue is the other way around.

- I have a Artemis Server 1.5.5 (In Cluster) using exclusive diverts. If the
client use the version 2.6.2 the message got duplicate.

Let me know if I can provide more details on the issue.

Thanks & Best Regards,
Luis

Re: Duplicate Messages

clebertsuconic
On that case you must use prefixes on your 2.6.2 clients.

Do you really need to mix 1.x and 2.x on this? I would keep things
aligned on this case.

But this is definitely related to your prefixes. When the client
connects to the older version a new queue is being created, and that's
causing your duplicate. It seems a configuration issue.

If you really need to mix the versions.. you will need to play with prefixes.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:31 PM ldebello <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Clebert,
>
> Thanks for your response, the issue is the other way around.
>
> - I have a Artemis Server 1.5.5 (In Cluster) using exclusive diverts. If the
> client use the version 2.6.2 the message got duplicate.
>
> Let me know if I can provide more details on the issue.
>
> Thanks & Best Regards,
> Luis

Re: Duplicate Messages

jbertram
In the default broker.xml since Artemis 2.5.0 you'll see a comment like
this above the acceptors:

         <!-- Note: If an acceptor needs to be compatible with HornetQ
and/or Artemis 1.x clients add
                    "anycastPrefix=jms.queue.;multicastPrefix=jms.topic."
to the acceptor url.
                    See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-1644
for more information. -->

This is also noted in the documentation for the 2.5.0 release [1].

Have you configured these prefixes when observing the problem?

Justin

[1] https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/latest/versions.html#250

On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 9:26 AM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On that case you must use prefixes on your 2.6.2 clients.
>

> Do you really need to mix 1.x and 2.x on this? I would keep things
> aligned on this case.
>

> But this is definitely related to your prefixes. When the client
> connects to the older version a new queue is being created, and that's
> causing your duplicate. It seems a configuration issue.
>

> If you really need to mix the versions.. you will need to play with
> prefixes.
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:31 PM ldebello <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Clebert,
> >
> > Thanks for your response, the issue is the other way around.
> >
> > - I have a Artemis Server 1.5.5 (In Cluster) using exclusive diverts. If
> the
> > client use the version 2.6.2 the message got duplicate.
> >
> > Let me know if I can provide more details on the issue.
> >
> > Thanks & Best Regards,
> > Luis
> >

> > --
> > Sent from:

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Duplicate Messages

clebertsuconic
@Justin: They are using 1.6.2 as the server. and 2.6.2 as they client.

So he needs to set the prefixes at the connection factory I think.
On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 10:32 AM Justin Bertram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In the default broker.xml since Artemis 2.5.0 you'll see a comment like
> this above the acceptors:
>
>          <!-- Note: If an acceptor needs to be compatible with HornetQ
> and/or Artemis 1.x clients add
>                     "anycastPrefix=jms.queue.;multicastPrefix=jms.topic."
> to the acceptor url.
>                     See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARTEMIS-1644
> for more information. -->
>
> This is also noted in the documentation for the 2.5.0 release [1].
>
> Have you configured these prefixes when observing the problem?
>

> Justin
>
> [1] https://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/latest/versions.html#250
>
> On Thu, Nov 1, 2018 at 9:26 AM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On that case you must use prefixes on your 2.6.2 clients.
> >

> > Do you really need to mix 1.x and 2.x on this? I would keep things
> > aligned on this case.
> >

> > But this is definitely related to your prefixes. When the client
> > connects to the older version a new queue is being created, and that's
> > causing your duplicate. It seems a configuration issue.
> >

> > If you really need to mix the versions.. you will need to play with
> > prefixes.
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:31 PM ldebello <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Clebert,
> > >
> > > Thanks for your response, the issue is the other way around.
> > >
> > > - I have a Artemis Server 1.5.5 (In Cluster) using exclusive diverts. If
> > the
> > > client use the version 2.6.2 the message got duplicate.
> > >
> > > Let me know if I can provide more details on the issue.
> > >
> > > Thanks & Best Regards,
> > > Luis
> > >

> > > --
> > > Sent from:
> > http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-User-f2341805.html
> >

> > --
> > Clebert Suconic

Re: Duplicate Messages

ldebello
Hi Clebert,

I am using prefixes in my clients. I am not totally sure how the server
handles at new message from a new client (Server 1.5.5 - Client 2.6.2) but
they issue does not happens if the divert is not exclusive, so I am not sure
if that is a configuration issue.

On the other hand the client are already using new client that is the reason
why I need to mix and old server with new clients.

In the Jira a have included two animated gifs where I am using the queue
with jms.queue when calling from new client.

I will try to play with these prefixes to check it something provide more
lights on this. Do you know which code is in charge of handle the message
and apply different logic based on client version? just to try to debug
that.

Thanks & Best regards,
Luis

Re: Duplicate Messages

ldebello
Hi Justin,

Maybe I am wrong but I think I cannot use that because in my use case the
server is 1.5.5 and the client is 2.6.2 and as far as I understand you
configure the acceptor in the broker.xml which is the server and that
configuration is for newer server versions.

Thanks & Best regards,
Luis

Re: Duplicate Messages

there is an option on connection factory for the prefix.  I did not mean
the name of the queue itself.

Perhaps the client connects to the server perceives version and includes
the version automatically?

I will do some tinker with your example tomorrow.  I had other tasks and I
was trying to help you figure out.