[DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

[DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

MichaelAndrePearce
Hi All,

I would like to start a fresh discussion to keep things cleaner, and to provide more of a notification/update. (also to better name the subject)

The requirement for such a tool comes from many end users (including myself) which keep requesting such a feature of a web management console (a small selection of a much larger list i can supply many more), and so becomes more and more pressing to resolve.

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/How-to-monitor-artemis-td4727071.html <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/How-to-monitor-artemis-td4727071.html>
https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/39052/administration-console-for-artemis-jms-broker <https://softwarerecs.stackexchange.com/questions/39052/administration-console-for-artemis-jms-broker>
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37162532/how-to-monitor-apache-artemis <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37162532/how-to-monitor-apache-artemis>

Based off the discussion here:

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Removing-the-Web-Console-td4717136i40.html#a4728199 <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-Removing-the-Web-Console-td4717136i40.html#a4728199>

We have some key requirements as noted were (not exhaustive but a small summary of noted in the above thread):

Must be ActiveMQ Branded
No third party / propriety other products should be mentioned apart from a powered by.
Help and about pages should be ActiveMQ Artemis focussed
Provide functionality to manage the broker
This should be able to expand over time
License/Notice files and any legal requirements are updated/met
The war size should be kept to a minimum
Login/Security should be integrated to the broker roles/users
Plugins/customisation specific to AcitveMQ Artemis to reside in ActiveMQ Artemis project.

Also we had some good early feedback in the community on the missing bits in our early PR, of bits that needed/must be addressed. (thanks to Dan, Clebert, Martyn).

We believe we have a viable “agreeable" solution to provide a web console admin for Apache ActiveMQ Artemis.

As such we don’t see any reason to hold off and would like to bring your attention (again) to the PR please make any standard review comments there.

https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1385 <https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1385>

Also there has been a small discussion on how to release this, so that we can start to get end user feedback, as users tend to want a built usable distribution, like wise there is concern of bundling this into the next release.

We propose:
We will release the upcoming next version of Apache ActiveMQ Artemis, WITHOUT the new web console. This is due to occur in the coming week.
We will then subsequently look to merge and release another version of Apache ActiveMQ Artemis WITH the console, so it is in a clean release with only the addition of the web console. This should occur almost immediately after.

I should thank Clebert and Martyn in offering to run the extra release this would require, but de-risk some community concerns.

This solution is based off a hawtio framework, i would like to iterate i am not a RedHat employee, nor anything to do with Hawtio project. I work for a company that uses the project like other end users, and simply see it as a framework to enable us in activemq to deliver a usable web management console for artemis with as little cost, effort and maintenance as possible, to provide an immediate need in the user community.

Many thanks
Mike

Re: [DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

clebertsuconic
I will wait others to chime in, but Michael have done a very nice job
here.. I think this is pretty much ready to be merged...

I will wait the release that I'm doing this week (should be done
already.. fixing a few last issues as usual)... but other than that..
I think this has addressed all the issues raised by Dan on the Pull
Request.. as Michael.

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Michael André Pearce
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I should thank Clebert and Martyn in offering to run the extra release this would require, but de-risk some community concerns.
>
> This solution is based off a hawtio framework, i would like to iterate i am not a RedHat employee, nor anything to do with Hawtio project. I work for a company that uses the project like other end users, and simply see it as a framework to enable us in activemq to deliver a usable web management console for artemis with as little cost, effort and maintenance as possible, to provide an immediate need in the user community.
>
> Many thanks
> Mike

Re: [DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

I am tempted to merge it now actually....

Anyone opposed to this? it would be cool to have a console on this
next release.. if it's all good.

tabish121@gmail.com
On 07/13/2017 12:10 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
> I am tempted to merge it now actually....
>
> Anyone opposed to this? it would be cool to have a console on this
> next release.. if it's all good.

Please stick to the original plan.  I guessing there's other folks like
myself who haven't had time to even look at this new console yet.

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

MichaelAndrePearce
I would agree, we should stick to the plan.

Merging straight after release and releasing again won't delay in reality the time people can use it. Apart from a few days at most.

 But will address/de risks any concerns.

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>>>
>>> I should thank Clebert and Martyn in offering to run the extra release this would require, but de-risk some community concerns.
>>>
>>> This solution is based off a hawtio framework, i would like to iterate i am not a RedHat employee, nor anything to do with Hawtio project. I work for a company that uses the project like other end users, and simply see it as a framework to enable us in activemq to deliver a usable web management console for artemis with as little cost, effort and maintenance as possible, to provide an immediate need in the user community.
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Mike
>>

> --
> Tim Bish
> twitter: @tabish121
> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

That's fair guys.. I was just tempted to do it.. but won't to it.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Michael André Pearce
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would agree, we should stick to the plan.
>
> Merging straight after release and releasing again won't delay in reality the time people can use it. Apart from a few days at most.
>
>  But will address/de risks any concerns.
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On 13 Jul 2017, at 17:23, Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 07/13/2017 12:10 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>>> I am tempted to merge it now actually....
>>>
>>> Anyone opposed to this? it would be cool to have a console on this
>>> next release.. if it's all good.
>>
>> Please stick to the original plan.  I guessing there's other folks like myself who haven't had time to even look at this new console yet.

>> --
>> Tim Bish
>> twitter: @tabish121
>> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSSS] Web Management Console for Artemis.

Justin Bertram
I just reviewed the new console via the PR.  I really like it.  Nice work!

Justin