[DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

12

[DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

artnaseef
Using Nabble, as I do, to keep up with the dev mailing list, this is what it looks like to me whenever I look:

Actually, there are two more discussions easily visible this time than I normally see.  All of the jira, github, and other (?) notifications make it hard to find meaningful discussions.

Any ideas on how we can solve this?

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

clebertsuconic
make JIRA notifications into a JIRA list? then you subscribe into that
if you like.

I think github notifications should still be on the dev list though.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using Nabble, as I do, to keep up with the dev mailing list, this is what it
> looks like to me whenever I look:
>
> <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4694420/HeresWhatDevListLooksLike.png>
>
> Actually, there are two more discussions easily visible this time than I
> normally see.  All of the jira, github, and other (?) notifications make it
> hard to find meaningful discussions.
>
> Any ideas on how we can solve this?

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

dkulp

> On Apr 7, 2015, at 11:02 AM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> make JIRA notifications into a JIRA list? then you subscribe into that
> if you like.

Many of the other projects (CXF, Camel, etc…) do have a separate “issues” list for the JIRA things.  That might make sense.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Bruce Snyder
+1

Bruce

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> make JIRA notifications into a JIRA list? then you subscribe into that
> if you like.
>
> I think github notifications should still be on the dev list though.
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 10:43 AM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Using Nabble, as I do, to keep up with the dev mailing list, this is
> what it
> > looks like to me whenever I look:
> >
> > <
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/n4694420/HeresWhatDevListLooksLike.png
> >

> > Actually, there are two more discussions easily visible this time than I
> > normally see.  All of the jira, github, and other (?) notifications make
> it
> > hard to find meaningful discussions.
> >
> > Any ideas on how we can solve this?

> Clebert Suconic
> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

That works.  It looks like the volume of github notifications is much lower - and appear to be mostly pull requests, so moving out the jira entries would be a big win.

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

artnaseef
It sounds like the Jira list is the way to go.

How can I go about getting the list created and messages redirected?  I think issues@activemq.apache.org is the way to go.

Art

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Bruce Snyder
I already submitted a request.

Bruce

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It sounds like the Jira list is the way to go.
>
> How can I go about getting the list created and messages redirected?  I
> think [hidden email] is the way to go.
>
> Art

perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

clebertsuconic
paste the JIRA? I will vote for it.

I would keep github on dev for now.. there are a few discussions that
would happen through github (embedded comments.. etc) that I think
it's worth to mirror to the dev... we can later move out if they start
to bother.

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I already submitted a request.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It sounds like the Jira list is the way to go.
>>
>> How can I go about getting the list created and messages redirected?  I
>> think [hidden email] is the way to go.
>>
>> Art

> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

James Carman
Agreed.  +1

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> paste the JIRA? I will vote for it.
>

> I would keep github on dev for now.. there are a few discussions that
> would happen through github (embedded comments.. etc) that I think
> it's worth to mirror to the dev... we can later move out if they start
> to bother.
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > I already submitted a request.
> >
> > Bruce
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
> >
> >> It sounds like the Jira list is the way to go.
> >>
> >> How can I go about getting the list created and messages redirected?  I
> >> think [hidden email] <javascript:;> is the way to go.
> >>
> >> Art
> >>

> >> --

> > perl -e 'print
> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
> >
> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
> > Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>

> --
> Clebert Suconic
> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Vote the JIRA, I guess that will bother infra guys to do it sooner ;)

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM, James Carman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agreed.  +1
>
> On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> paste the JIRA? I will vote for it.
>>

>> I would keep github on dev for now.. there are a few discussions that
>> would happen through github (embedded comments.. etc) that I think
>> it's worth to mirror to the dev... we can later move out if they start
>> to bother.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]
>> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>> > I already submitted a request.
>> >
>> > Bruce

>> > --
>> > perl -e 'print
>> > unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>> >
>> > ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
>> > Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
>> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>>

>> --
>> Clebert Suconic
>> http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
>> http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

artnaseef
Hey Bruce - I would like to learn the process here.  Can you help me?

Was the request made simply by creating a Jira entry?

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Bruce Snyder
+1

Bruce

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Bruce Snyder
Good point, Clebert.

Bruce

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

James Carman
I don't think they work that way, but it couldn't hurt. :)

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good point, Clebert.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:45 PM, Clebert Suconic <
> [hidden email] <javascript:;>>

> > Vote the JIRA, I guess that will bother infra guys to do it sooner ;)
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:43 PM, James Carman <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>
> > wrote:
> > > Agreed.  +1
> > >
> > > On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>>

> <javascript:;>

> <javascript:;>

> > redirected?  I
> the way to go.

> > );'

> > --
> > Clebert Suconic
> > http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
> > http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com
> >

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Bruce Snyder
Anything that requires assistance from the Infra team is accomplished by
creating a JIRA issue. Just create a new issue in JIRA (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa) and select the
Infrastructure project.

Bruce

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

artnaseef
So the Infra team manages Jira and mailing lists?

What about nabble - will it also be included, or is there more work to do there?

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

James Carman
Actually the mailing lists are different

https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anything that requires assistance from the Infra team is accomplished by
> creating a JIRA issue. Just create a new issue in JIRA (
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa) and select the
> Infrastructure project.
>
> Bruce
>
> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]
> <javascript:;>> wrote:
>
> > Hey Bruce - I would like to learn the process here.  Can you help me?
> >
> > Was the request made simply by creating a Jira entry?

> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

Bruce Snyder
Nabble is not controlled by the ASF at all.

Bruce

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:49 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So the Infra team manages Jira and mailing lists?
>
> What about nabble - will it also be included, or is there more work to do
> there?

perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

James Carman
I think we need to have Hiram request this since he is the chair of the PMC.

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, James Carman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually the mailing lists are different
>
> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>

> On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>
>> Anything that requires assistance from the Infra team is accomplished by
>> creating a JIRA issue. Just create a new issue in JIRA (
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa) and select the
>> Infrastructure project.
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 12:36 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hey Bruce - I would like to learn the process here.  Can you help me?
>> >
>> > Was the request made simply by creating a Jira entry?
>> >

>> > --

>> perl -e 'print
>> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>>
>> ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
>> Blog: http://bruceblog.org/
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] dev mailing list is cluttered

chirino
Do we need an official vote thread for these kinds of changes?
Perhaps this discussion thread is good enough?

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 3:14 PM, James Carman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we need to have Hiram request this since he is the chair of the PMC.
>
> On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, James Carman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Actually the mailing lists are different
>>
>> https://infra.apache.org/officers/mlreq
>>

>> On Tuesday, April 7, 2015, Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]
>> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','[hidden email]');>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anything that requires assistance from the Infra team is accomplished by
>>> creating a JIRA issue. Just create a new issue in JIRA (
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa) and select the
>>> Infrastructure project.
>>>
>>> Bruce

>>> --