[DISCUSS] Web site update

12

[DISCUSS] Web site update

clebertsuconic
How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.

Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
could do something clean...

I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their design :).

Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
look and feel a bit more modern and clean.

Anyone available to help here? :)

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Matt Pavlovich-2
+1 website needs to be updated and will to assist.

I'd also throw out there kafka.apache.org and karaf.apache.org as design
concepts to consider as well.

On 12/15/16 11:03 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

> How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.
>
> Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
> could do something clean...
>
> I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their design :).
>
> Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
> look and feel a bit more modern and clean.
>

> Anyone available to help here? :)

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Martyn Taylor
+1.  Also happy to provide support/help

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 website needs to be updated and will to assist.
>
> I'd also throw out there kafka.apache.org and karaf.apache.org as design
> concepts to consider as well.
>

> On 12/15/16 11:03 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>
>> How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.
>>
>> Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
>> could do something clean...
>>
>> I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their design
>> :).
>>
>> Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
>> look and feel a bit more modern and clean.
>>

>> Anyone available to help here? :)

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

christopher.l.shannon
+1, definitely time for a face lift but not sure what the best way to
go about it is.  It would be nice if it could be automated and
generated from Markdown like the Artemis docs, or something like that.

On 12/15/2016 12:11 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
> +1 website needs to be updated and will to assist.
>
> I'd also throw out there kafka.apache.org and karaf.apache.org as
> design concepts to consider as well.

The Kafka one isn't bad, the Karaf site make me feel like I need to
contact someone from sales to get a trial license.

> On 12/15/16 11:03 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>> How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.
>>
>> Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
>> could do something clean...
>>
>> I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their
>> design :).
>>
>> Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
>> look and feel a bit more modern and clean.
>>

>> Anyone available to help here? :)

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

clebertsuconic
On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 12/15/2016 12:11 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
>>
>> +1 website needs to be updated and will to assist.
>>
>> I'd also throw out there kafka.apache.org and karaf.apache.org as design
>> concepts to consider as well.
>>

> The Kafka one isn't bad, the Karaf site make me feel like I need to contact
> someone from sales to get a trial license.

LOL

I think Karaf and Kafka have too much of their project's personality
to bring it as a template.
I was looking for a plain template. qpid is very clean. the main
apache.org is also a very good example.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Matt Pavlovich-2
@tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use of
color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source projects
have similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.

@clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step up
from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have nice
l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for better font
usage and at least an updated logo.

A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
etc seems to be attainable.

Others to consider:
wicket.apache.org
spark.apache.org
cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of font
face and font color)
mesos.apache.org
couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and logo)

-Matt

tabish121@gmail.com
On 12/15/2016 02:08 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:

> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use of
> color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source projects
> have similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>
> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step up
> from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have
> nice l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for
> better font usage and at least an updated logo.
>
> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
> etc seems to be attainable.
>
> Others to consider:
> wicket.apache.org
> spark.apache.org
> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of
> font face and font color)
> mesos.apache.org
> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and
> logo)
>
> -Matt

Keep in mind that ActiveMQ has several subprojects (multiple brokers,
multiple clients) so the site design and layout needs to scale along
with the subprojects

@tbish Good point. We'll want to bring NMS, CMS, etc along for sure.

On 12/15/16 2:21 PM, Timothy Bish wrote:

> On 12/15/2016 02:08 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
>> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use
>> of color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source
>> projects have similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>>
>> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step
>> up from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have
>> nice l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for
>> better font usage and at least an updated logo.
>>
>> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
>> etc seems to be attainable.
>>
>> Others to consider:
>> wicket.apache.org
>> spark.apache.org
>> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of
>> font face and font color)
>> mesos.apache.org
>> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and
>> logo)
>>
>> -Matt
>
> Keep in mind that ActiveMQ has several subprojects (multiple brokers,
> multiple clients) so the site design and layout needs to scale along
> with the subprojects
>

>> On 12/15/16 1:40 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

>>> LOL
>>>
>>> I think Karaf and Kafka have too much of their project's personality
>>> to bring it as a template.
>>> I was looking for a plain template. qpid is very clean. the main
>>> apache.org is also a very good example.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

clebertsuconic
I got a bit confused.

There is a confluence link at the page.  But there is a svn for the
website. Confluence is the old scheme?

What's going on? :)

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @tbish Good point. We'll want to bring NMS, CMS, etc along for sure.
>

> On 12/15/16 2:21 PM, Timothy Bish wrote:
>
> > On 12/15/2016 02:08 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
>
> >> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use
>
> >> of color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source
>
> >> projects have similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>

> >> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step
>
> >> up from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have
>
> >> nice l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for
>
> >> better font usage and at least an updated logo.
>

> >> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
>
> >> etc seems to be attainable.
>

> >> Others to consider:
>
> >> wicket.apache.org
>
> >> spark.apache.org
>
> >> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of
>
> >> font face and font color)
>
> >> mesos.apache.org
>
> >> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and
>
> >> logo)
>

> >> -Matt
>

> > Keep in mind that ActiveMQ has several subprojects (multiple brokers,
>
> > multiple clients) so the site design and layout needs to scale along
>
> > with the subprojects

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

bennetelli
+1

the websites of kafka, mesos and cassandra are nice.
I would contribute as well.

> Am 15.12.2016 um 20:08 schrieb Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]>:
>
> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use of color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source projects have similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>
> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step up from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have nice l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for better font usage and at least an updated logo.
>
> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts, etc seems to be attainable.
>
> Others to consider:
> wicket.apache.org
> spark.apache.org
> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of font face and font color)
> mesos.apache.org
> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and logo)
>
> -Matt
>
> On 12/15/16 1:40 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

>>> The Kafka one isn't bad, the Karaf site make me feel like I need to contact
>>> someone from sales to get a trial license.
>> LOL
>>
>> I think Karaf and Kafka have too much of their project's personality
>> to bring it as a template.
>> I was looking for a plain template. qpid is very clean. the main
>> apache.org is also a very good example.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

dejanb
I think the good starting point would be to create a new front page, that
explains what’s this all about and have some links to subprojects,
downloads, news, blogs and stuff. Then we can migrate existing sites to the
new style one by one.

Dejan Bosanac
http://sensatic.net/about

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> @tbish Good point. We'll want to bring NMS, CMS, etc along for sure.
>

> On 12/15/16 2:21 PM, Timothy Bish wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2016 02:08 PM, Matt Pavlovich wrote:
>>
>>> @tbish.. haha.  Yeah, the Karaf site can be a bit much, but the use of
>>> color and pictures is good.. lot of other popular open source projects have
>>> similar layouts.. spring.io, etc.
>>>
>>> @clebert- IMO the plain apache.org is pretty bland. Prolly one step up
>>> from openbsd.org level blandness ;-) The current Artemis docs have nice
>>> l&f. I agree w/ clean site, but I think we should shoot for better font
>>> usage and at least an updated logo.
>>>
>>> A nice logo that looks good as a laptop sticker, backpacks, t-shirts,
>>> etc seems to be attainable.
>>>
>>> Others to consider:
>>> wicket.apache.org
>>> spark.apache.org
>>> cassandra.apache.org (meh on the font, but clean look, good use of font
>>> face and font color)
>>> mesos.apache.org
>>> couchdb.apache.org (less karaf'sh, simple layout. good font faces and
>>> logo)
>>>
>>> -Matt
>>>

>> Keep in mind that ActiveMQ has several subprojects (multiple brokers,
>> multiple clients) so the site design and layout needs to scale along with
>> the subprojects

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Robbie Gemmell
The content for most of the site is actually a Confluence wiki, which
is converted into the HTML pages for the website, with those then
being committed into an svn repo, and that being mirrored onto the
webservers upon commit by an svnpubsub process.

The 'source' for the website is mostly:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Index

Many of the Apache project sites used to do their sites like this, as
infra managed the export via a Confluence plugin. Infra stopped
supporting that plugin a number of years ago during a Confluence
upgrade, and projects were requried to either move to alternatives, or
come up with a new export system, which seems to be what happened with
the ActiveMQ site.

On 16 December 2016 at 02:43, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got a bit confused.
>

> There is a confluence link at the page.  But there is a svn for the
> website. Confluence is the old scheme?
>
> What's going on? :)
>

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> @tbish Good point. We'll want to bring NMS, CMS, etc along for sure.

>> > Keep in mind that ActiveMQ has several subprojects (multiple brokers,
>>
>> > multiple clients) so the site design and layout needs to scale along
>>
>> > with the subprojects

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

clebertsuconic
Hmmmm.. I need a web designer's help.. anyone caring to help? or give
us some direction?

I was trying to do this by hand.. getting the index.html and make it
look like the artemis website (just for a prototype), and this harder
than I thought.

I will need some help...

anyway.. this will be on my new years resolutions... loose weight,
improve encoding, improve website :)... :)

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Robbie Gemmell
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The content for most of the site is actually a Confluence wiki, which
> is converted into the HTML pages for the website, with those then
> being committed into an svn repo, and that being mirrored onto the
> webservers upon commit by an svnpubsub process.
>
> The 'source' for the website is mostly:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Index
>
> Many of the Apache project sites used to do their sites like this, as
> infra managed the export via a Confluence plugin. Infra stopped
> supporting that plugin a number of years ago during a Confluence
> upgrade, and projects were requried to either move to alternatives, or
> come up with a new export system, which seems to be what happened with
> the ActiveMQ site.
>
> On 16 December 2016 at 02:43, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I got a bit confused.
>>

>> There is a confluence link at the page.  But there is a svn for the
>> website. Confluence is the old scheme?
>>
>> What's going on? :)
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 2:41 PM Matt Pavlovich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> @tbish Good point. We'll want to bring NMS, CMS, etc along for sure.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

Martyn Taylor
I can help with this. Let's sync up in the new yeat

On 21 Dec 2016 16:15, "Clebert Suconic" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmmm.. I need a web designer's help.. anyone caring to help? or give
> us some direction?
>

> I was trying to do this by hand.. getting the index.html and make it
> look like the artemis website (just for a prototype), and this harder
> than I thought.
>

> I will need some help...
>

> anyway.. this will be on my new years resolutions... loose weight,
> improve encoding, improve website :)... :)
>
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Robbie Gemmell
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The content for most of the site is actually a Confluence wiki, which
> > is converted into the HTML pages for the website, with those then
> > being committed into an svn repo, and that being mirrored onto the
> > webservers upon commit by an svnpubsub process.
> >
> > The 'source' for the website is mostly:
> > https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ACTIVEMQ/Index
> >
> > Many of the Apache project sites used to do their sites like this, as
> > infra managed the export via a Confluence plugin. Infra stopped
> > supporting that plugin a number of years ago during a Confluence
> > upgrade, and projects were requried to either move to alternatives, or
> > come up with a new export system, which seems to be what happened with
> > the ActiveMQ site.
> >
> > On 16 December 2016 at 02:43, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> I got a bit confused.
> >>

> >> There is a confluence link at the page.  But there is a svn for the
> >> website. Confluence is the old scheme?
> >>
> >> What's going on? :)

> have

> t-shirts,

> and

> [hidden email]>

> as

> personality

> Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

chirino
If your looking to do a new custom template, you might want to try out
something like https://webflow.com/
For a small price you get really nice visual way to control all the
html/css you'd want to do and then export it so you can turn it into a
template.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

jbonofre
+1

Regards
JB

On 12/15/2016 05:03 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

> How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.
>
> Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
> could do something clean...
>
> I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their design :).
>
> Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
> look and feel a bit more modern and clean.
>

> Anyone available to help here? :)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
[hidden email]
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

clebertsuconic
I gave up on doing it myself... I still want a face lift of the web
site. But I have been doing some refactoring on Message encodings and
protocols (making it faster) + the recent IO work I did.. so I"m not
finding time to do it myself.

But I'm asking anyone with good experience in Web Design to make a
prototype to replace the front page :) Anyone care to help? :)

On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 2:19 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Regards
> JB
>

> On 12/15/2016 05:03 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>>
>> How we could revamp the webiste on activemq.apache.org.
>>
>> Both Camel and ActiveMQ share the same design. It would be great if we
>> could do something clean...
>>
>> I like the example of qpid.apache.org, I would even still their design :).
>>
>> Maybe bring Artemis a bit more up front on the website and make the
>> look and feel a bit more modern and clean.
>>

>> Anyone available to help here? :)
>>

> --
> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
> [hidden email]
> http://blog.nanthrax.net
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

nigro_franz
+1 For renewed logo and front page, but sadly my artistic skills and aesthetic sense are very very very low :(
But, I'll ask to a front-end developer friend if he is interested to start contributing!

Re: [DISCUSS] Web site update

clebertsuconic
BTW: you're right.. the journal-sync tool was not actually syncing on NIO

Mapped and NIO are performing similarly. (Mapped being slight faster)

I am also changing AIO to not use O_DIRECT in case of sync=false...

(I don't know why someone would use AIO with sync=false, but in any
case.. i will make the change)

On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 9:05 AM, nigro_franz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 For renewed logo and front page, but sadly my artistic skills and
> aesthetic sense are very very very low :(
> But, I'll ask to a front-end developer friend if he is interested to start
> contributing!

12