[DISCUSS] New logo discussion

12

[DISCUSS] New logo discussion

clebertsuconic
We were having a discussion on IRC today, and a consensus is it would
be nice to update to Logo and color pallete for the Web Site.

@mattrpav provided as a link about something similar that Camel went
through recently:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/2017/05/22/New+Apache+Camel+logo+vote+results+are+in

How can we kick a similar process for ActiveMQ?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

MichaelAndrePearce
+1 the idea. (Was in the irc chat)

I guess open a wiki page to store the entrants a bit like camel did.

Agree a closing date (a month or two away)

Announce to the world, user/dev list, twitter, blogs etc

After which cast a vote on the options in the Dev and user lists (which probably should include don't change the logo option)

Either do a simple highest vote counts, or a staged vote. As in vote on all entries, top highest win, then a second vote on the top three? PMC prob should just dictate this?

PMC get final vote no doubt, but assume it would vote with the community consensus.

> On 23 May 2017, at 17:07, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We were having a discussion on IRC today, and a consensus is it would
> be nice to update to Logo and color pallete for the Web Site.
>

> @mattrpav provided as a link about something similar that Camel went
> through recently:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/2017/05/22/New+Apache+Camel+logo+vote+results+are+in
>

> How can we kick a similar process for ActiveMQ?

> Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

clebertsuconic
I probably need a PMC vote before open the wiki ?

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM Michael André Pearce <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 the idea. (Was in the irc chat)
>
> I guess open a wiki page to store the entrants a bit like camel did.
>
> Agree a closing date (a month or two away)
>
> Announce to the world, user/dev list, twitter, blogs etc
>
> After which cast a vote on the options in the Dev and user lists (which
> probably should include don't change the logo option)
>
> Either do a simple highest vote counts, or a staged vote. As in vote on
> all entries, top highest win, then a second vote on the top three? PMC prob
> should just dictate this?
>
> PMC get final vote no doubt, but assume it would vote with the community
> consensus.
>

> > On 23 May 2017, at 17:07, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > We were having a discussion on IRC today, and a consensus is it would
> > be nice to update to Logo and color pallete for the Web Site.
> >

> > @mattrpav provided as a link about something similar that Camel went
> > through recently:
> >

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CAMEL/2017/05/22/New+Apache+Camel+logo+vote+results+are+in
> >

> > How can we kick a similar process for ActiveMQ?
> >
> > --
> > Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

clebertsuconic
I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
this would be a good idea.

Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
for the logo and what we will ask:

I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:

- vector based file (.svg) and .png images
- an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have one)
- (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
and the name separated, like camel)
- minimalistic and modern design.

thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

John D. Ament-2
Clebert,

You may want to reach out to Sally as well to see what she can do to help
you guys get some traction in this area.  We just did this for incubator
and it looks pretty nice.

John

On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
> this would be a good idea.
>
> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
> for the logo and what we will ask:
>
> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
>
> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have
> one)
> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
> and the name separated, like camel)
> - minimalistic and modern design.
>

> thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

Timothy Nodine
Aspect ratio - square or banner?

Clebert Suconic wrote:

> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
> this would be a good idea.
>
> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
> for the logo and what we will ask:
>
> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
>
> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have one)
> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
> and the name separated, like camel)
> - minimalistic and modern design.
>

> thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

MichaelAndrePearce
Agree PNG / Vector is fairly a must. +1 that one

Def need a logo / icon +1 that idea

I'm not so sure we need to say the text and icon when togeather have to be separate, but should be seperatable , so can just use the icon or just text where needed

Also suggest adding some starter ones so people don't feel like being the first.

Here's my 5min circles and text starter to maybe help (you can tell it's not my day job ;) )

https://gist.github.com/michaelandrepearce/1dfc56f863db1cea20424c63733f6470

Sent from my iPhone

> On 24 May 2017, at 21:21, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Clebert,
>
> You may want to reach out to Sally as well to see what she can do to help
> you guys get some traction in this area.  We just did this for incubator
> and it looks pretty nice.
>
> John
>
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
>> this would be a good idea.
>>
>> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
>> for the logo and what we will ask:
>>
>> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
>>
>> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
>> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have
>> one)
>> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
>> and the name separated, like camel)
>> - minimalistic and modern design.
>>

>> thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

Martyn Taylor
On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 8:59 PM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
> this would be a good idea.
>
> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
> for the logo and what we will ask:
>
> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
>
> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have
> one)
> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
> and the name separated, like camel)
> - minimalistic and modern design.

+1.

> thoughts?

Also, I'd say we want the new logo to be recognisable as ActiveMQ (and not
something completely new), so imo the new logo needs to at least nod toward
the existing ActiveMQ branding (perhaps this can be achieved using a
similar font, layout or colour scheme)?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

Martyn Taylor
On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 1:03 AM, Michael André Pearce <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Agree PNG / Vector is fairly a must. +1 that one
>
> Def need a logo / icon +1 that idea
>
> I'm not so sure we need to say the text and icon when togeather have to be
> separate, but should be seperatable , so can just use the icon or just text
> where needed
>
> Also suggest adding some starter ones so people don't feel like being the
> first.
>
> Here's my 5min circles and text starter to maybe help (you can tell it's
> not my day job ;) )

Your design skills are far superior to mine... ;).

> https://gist.github.com/michaelandrepearce/1dfc56f863db1cea20424c63733f64
> 70

Already a vast improvement on the current logo.

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On 24 May 2017, at 21:21, John D. Ament <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Clebert,
> >
> > You may want to reach out to Sally as well to see what she can do to help
> > you guys get some traction in this area.  We just did this for incubator
> > and it looks pretty nice.
> >
> > John
> >
> > On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:00 PM Clebert Suconic <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
> >> this would be a good idea.
> >>
> >> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
> >> for the logo and what we will ask:
> >>
> >> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
> >>
> >> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
> >> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't
> have
> >> one)
> >> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
> >> and the name separated, like camel)
> >> - minimalistic and modern design.
> >>

> >> thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

jbertram
> Aspect ratio - square or banner?

I think we would need both - a banner for the top of web pages plus a square icon for other purposes.  Here [1] is an example submission from the Camel process which Clebert linked to at the beginning of this thread.

Justin

[1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/1556/commits/f28ff8739cc895314a95ebec323c075c38a08813

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Justin Bertram <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Aspect ratio - square or banner?
>
> I think we would need both - a banner for the top of web pages plus a square icon for other purposes.  Here [1] is an example submission from the Camel process which Clebert linked to at the beginning of this thread.

If the submission is also including an abstract image.. a square image
would be great... yeah...

@Michael Pearce: I loved the abstraction for MQ..
I wouldn't put the 6 on the Logo though.. just for practical reasons..
(What to do when there's a 7?)

> Justin
>
> [1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/1556/commits/f28ff8739cc895314a95ebec323c075c38a08813

Just so as a heads up.. I will post a blog about the submission next
week after the US Holiday.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:16 AM, Justin Bertram <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Aspect ratio - square or banner?
>>
>> I think we would need both - a banner for the top of web pages plus a square icon for other purposes.  Here [1] is an example submission from the Camel process which Clebert linked to at the beginning of this thread.
>
> If the submission is also including an abstract image.. a square image
> would be great... yeah...
>

> @Michael Pearce: I loved the abstraction for MQ..
> I wouldn't put the 6 on the Logo though.. just for practical reasons..
> (What to do when there's a 7?)
>

>> Justin
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/1556/commits/f28ff8739cc895314a95ebec323c075c38a08813

How long should I keep the submission open before we call for a Vote.
I thought about 1 month? It's summer, and perhaps that will attract
students.

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just so as a heads up.. I will post a blog about the submission next
> week after the US Holiday.
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Clebert Suconic
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we would need both - a banner for the top of web pages plus a square icon for other purposes.  Here [1] is an example submission from the Camel process which Clebert linked to at the beginning of this thread.
>>
>> If the submission is also including an abstract image.. a square image
>> would be great... yeah...
>>

>> @Michael Pearce: I loved the abstraction for MQ..
>> I wouldn't put the 6 on the Logo though.. just for practical reasons..
>> (What to do when there's a 7?)
>>

>>> Justin
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/1556/commits/f28ff8739cc895314a95ebec323c075c38a08813

Hadrian Zbarcea
One important thing to decide here is what 'message' do we want the logo
to convey:

* messaging (envelopes come to mind)
* scalability
* security (locks, fingerprints)
* something else

That would help a designer focus on an idea. Relying on a designer to
already know what activemq stands for it'd be too much to ask, imho.

My $0.02,
Hadrian

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
> One important thing to decide here is what 'message' do we want the logo to
> convey:
>
> * messaging (envelopes come to mind)
> * scalability
> * security (locks, fingerprints)
> * something else

We can include a TL;DR about what is ActiveMQ on the Call for Entry. I
don't want to drive artist's abstraction by power point what we want
to include.. but given a description of the project would probably
help.

> That would help a designer focus on an idea. Relying on a designer to
> already know what activemq stands for it'd be too much to ask, imho.
>
> My $0.02,
> Hadrian
>

> On 05/24/2017 03:59 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>>
>> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
>> this would be a good idea.
>>
>> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
>> for the logo and what we will ask:
>>
>> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
>>
>> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
>> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have
>> one)
>> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
>> and the name separated, like camel)
>> - minimalistic and modern design.
>>

>> thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

Matt Pavlovich-2
+1  Thanks for getting this going Clebert!

Really excited about the future of ActiveMQ and a new logo and branding will go a long way to support continued interest in the project.

If there is interest in involving a professional designer, I’d be happy to connect the community with a good designer I’ve worked with in the past.   Maybe we drum up a GoFundMe?

-Matt

> On May 25, 2017, at 10:42 AM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 11:18 AM, Hadrian Zbarcea <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> One important thing to decide here is what 'message' do we want the logo to
>> convey:
>>
>> * messaging (envelopes come to mind)
>> * scalability
>> * security (locks, fingerprints)
>> * something else
>
> We can include a TL;DR about what is ActiveMQ on the Call for Entry. I
> don't want to drive artist's abstraction by power point what we want
> to include.. but given a description of the project would probably
> help.
>

>> That would help a designer focus on an idea. Relying on a designer to
>> already know what activemq stands for it'd be too much to ask, imho.
>>
>> My $0.02,
>> Hadrian
>>

>> On 05/24/2017 03:59 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>>>
>>> I talked to the PMC private list and we have consensus that starting
>>> this would be a good idea.
>>>
>>> Before we start a call for logo,  We need to define the requirements
>>> for the logo and what we will ask:
>>>
>>> I'm thinking of defining these as requirements:
>>>
>>> - vector based file (.svg) and .png images
>>> - an abstract image representing ActiveMQ would be awesome (we don't have
>>> one)
>>> - (in case of an abstract image, it would be nice to have the image
>>> and the name separated, like camel)
>>> - minimalistic and modern design.
>>>

>>> thoughts?

> Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

artnaseef
Yeah, feels like 1 month is a good start.  Perhaps allow it to draw out a longer (not indefinitely) if there's continued, constructive activity.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just so as a heads up.. I will post a blog about the submission next
> week after the US Holiday.
>
> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Clebert Suconic
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we would need both - a banner for the top of web pages plus a square icon for other purposes.  Here [1] is an example submission from the Camel process which Clebert linked to at the beginning of this thread.
>>
>> If the submission is also including an abstract image.. a square image
>> would be great... yeah...
>>

>> @Michael Pearce: I loved the abstraction for MQ..
>> I wouldn't put the 6 on the Logo though.. just for practical reasons..
>> (What to do when there's a 7?)
>>

>>> Justin
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/1556/commits/f28ff8739cc895314a95ebec323c075c38a08813

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/DISCUSS-New-logo-discussion-tp4726454p4726567.html
To start a new topic under ActiveMQ - Dev, email [hidden email]
NAML

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

bennetelli
+1

maybe we could get in contact with Claus Ibsen. He’s doing the same for Apache Camel.

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: [DISCUSS] New logo discussion

clebertsuconic
and it's live: https://blogs.apache.org/activemq/entry/apache-activemq-call-for-logo

I will send an [CALL FOR ENTRY] thread shortly, copying users and dev list :)

I also tweeted about it.. if you could either retweet my tweet... or
make your own... just want to spread the word about this :)

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 6:06 AM, Bennet Schulz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> maybe we could get in contact with Claus Ibsen. He’s doing the same for Apache Camel.
>
>> Am 25.05.2017 um 23:30 schrieb artnaseef <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Yeah, feels like 1 month is a good start.  Perhaps allow it to draw out a
>> longer (not indefinitely) if there's continued, constructive activity.
>>

>> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 7:37 AM, clebertsuconic [via ActiveMQ] <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> How long should I keep the submission open before we call for a Vote.
>>> I thought about 1 month? It's summer, and perhaps that will attract
>>> students.
>>>
>>> On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Clebert Suconic
>>> <[hidden email] <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4726567&i=0>>

>>> square icon for other purposes.  Here [1] is an example submission from the
>>> Camel process which Clebert linked to at the beginning of this thread.

>>> f28ff8739cc895314a95ebec323c075c38a08813

One idea I had, but I have no design skill whatsoever, is to have two
arrows, connecting forming an A.. for the square / abstract part.. The
arrows would represent what I thought as active connecting.. dunno..
maybe it sucks...

But if anyone is artistic enough to take it further?

https://gist.github.com/clebertsuconic/e17da8cf7657dd29d92a825a61125bb0

12