[DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

12

[DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic
Can we move the github PR discussions away to a different list...

I suggest we create a list called [hidden email]

We could use it for all the github PRs notifications.. and eventually
low level discussions.

We should still keep general discussions on the dev list.

That would probably improve communication style and decrease noise.

And.. do I need a VOTE for that? or just consensus here?

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

artnaseef
+1

Note that the actual list name comes up as "[hidden email]" in this post, so
my vote is not for the name itself.

With that said, cleaning up the DEV list - so that PRs, commit messages,
and other auto-generated git notices do not distract - is most welcome.

Art

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

Personally I don't see a need for this, I've been getting along quite
fine with filters to sort things out, personally I'd say moving would
make it more complicated to keep an eye on what's going on in the community

On 12/06/2017 10:00 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

> Can we move the github PR discussions away to a different list...
>
> I suggest we create a list called [hidden email]
>
> We could use it for all the github PRs notifications.. and eventually
> low level discussions.
>
> We should still keep general discussions on the dev list.
>

> That would probably improve communication style and decrease noise.
>

> And.. do I need a VOTE for that? or just consensus here?

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

MichaelAndrePearce
I agree with Timothy.

For all the same points. In my view all these notifications are dev discussion just some of it is occurring inline in GitHub, and having this pull that back to the dev discussion mail list is useful to keep a single place to see all.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 6 Dec 2017, at 15:49, Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Personally I don't see a need for this, I've been getting along quite fine with filters to sort things out, personally I'd say moving would make it more complicated to keep an eye on what's going on in the community
>
>> On 12/06/2017 10:00 AM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>> Can we move the github PR discussions away to a different list...
>>
>> I suggest we create a list called [hidden email]
>>
>> We could use it for all the github PRs notifications.. and eventually
>> low level discussions.
>>
>> We should still keep general discussions on the dev list.
>>

>> That would probably improve communication style and decrease noise.
>>

>> And.. do I need a VOTE for that? or just consensus here?
>>

> --
> Tim Bish
> twitter: @tabish121
> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

artnaseef
So any thoughts on how we can make sure important discussions, that deserve
the full attention of the PMC, can be achieved?  Really, on how we can meet
everybody's needs...

We've got the following positions, as I see it so far:

   1. Keep all DISCUSS and VOTE in public on the DEV list, do NOT bother
posting to the PMC list, and do NOT clean up the DEV list
   2. Keep all DISCUSS and VOTE in public on the DEV list, do NOT bother
posting to the PMC list, but DO cleanup the DEV LIST
   3. Keep all DISCUSS and VOTE in public on the DEV list, send an
appropriate posting to the PMC list, and do NOT clean up the DEV list

All three leave some concerns unaddressed.

I'm sure we can solve all the needs in a way that's comfortable for
everyone.  We're smart, we have a ton of technology at our disposal, and we
care.

Note that this is coming up now because of the current DEV thread VOTING on
the future of AMQ in a very important way was almost missed by many of the
PMC members.

As a member of the PMC, I want to see all of the DISCUSS and VOTE threads,
but I personally do not get paid to read through the mailing lists, making
it challenging to find the time to filter through large numbers of messages
to find them. Filters are a valid approach for each individual, but we can
and should do better - without any special effort, folks communicating with
the community (especially those in key roles) should have easy access to the
right information.

And yes, I have setup email filters with mixed success.  Another way to
think of this - if the messages can pre-organized, that helps everybody and
prevents distributing unneeded complexity.

P.S. For those of you saying, "deja vu?" - yes.  This was raised more than
once in the past and has come up again.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

jgenender
+1 to Clebert.  PR messages are like commit messages and they convolute
important topics.

Jeff

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

christopher.l.shannon
+0, I'm fine with it either way.  I currently use filters on my email which
works for me but if people want to move PRs to another email address that's
fine with me too.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:24 PM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to Clebert.  PR messages are like commit messages and they convolute
> important topics.
>
> Jeff
>

> --
> Sent from: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-
> f2368404.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

Bruce Snyder
I can take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me because I can address it
via filtering.

and it was nice to have those messages separate from the dev@activemq

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic
We still have the commits list.  It’s not listed st the website but it’s
there.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:53 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I can take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me because I can address it
> via filtering.

> and it was nice to have those messages separate from the dev@activemq
>
> Bruce
>
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Christopher Shannon <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > +0, I'm fine with it either way.  I currently use filters on my email
> which
> > works for me but if people want to move PRs to another email address
> that's
> > fine with me too.
> >
> > On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:24 PM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > +1 to Clebert.  PR messages are like commit messages and they convolute
> > > important topics.
> > >
> > > Jeff
> > >

> > > --
> > > Sent from: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-
> > > f2368404.html
> > >

> --
> perl -e 'print
> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'

> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic
I don't really care personally if it's separated or not...

All I'm trying to do is to make the list easier to be followed by
people not following every single line change we do through github.

Say, I just found ActiveMQ (or Artemis) on google...

when I go to the discussion list, I find this mess hard to be followed:

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-f2368404.html

Is that a github filter?

If I wasn't part of the community.. I would leave now!

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> We still have the commits list.  It’s not listed st the website but it’s
> there.
>

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:53 PM Bruce Snyder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I can take it or leave it, doesn't matter to me because I can address it
>> via filtering.

>> and it was nice to have those messages separate from the dev@activemq
>>
>> Bruce
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Christopher Shannon <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > +0, I'm fine with it either way.  I currently use filters on my email
>> > which
>> > works for me but if people want to move PRs to another email address
>> > that's
>> > fine with me too.

>> --
>> perl -e 'print
>> unpack("u30","D0G)U8V4\@4VYY9&5R\"F)R=6-E+G-N>61E<D\!G;6%I;\"YC;VT*" );'
>>
>> ActiveMQ in Action: http://bit.ly/2je6cQ
>> Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
>> Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder
>
> --
> Clebert Suconic

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic

> If I wasn't part of the community.. I would leave now!

Didn't write that well... I mean... when I looked at this page:

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-f2368404.html

It's not very friendly.. and not very attractive to people to be part
of discussions.. if we have more important discussions there it would
be easier to follow.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

artnaseef
+1 to Clebert's comments on clarity.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

Justin Bertram
I see what you mean, Clebert.  I think most of this is caused by the
fundamental mismatch between a mailing list and a threaded forum.  It's
easy to filter the GitHub messages with an email client but impossible to
filter via a web interface like Nabble.

From what I recall (trying to dig up the archived mail now) when we decided
to use the GitHub PR process for code changes the requirement was that the
conversations on the PR would be reflected on the dev list.  I think it's
good to have the PR conversations on the dev so people can stay up-to-date
on what's happening with the code (it is the *dev* list after all), but
there is also some extra noise in there as well.

0 is my vote.

Justin

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:33 PM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > If I wasn't part of the community.. I would leave now!
>

> Didn't write that well... I mean... when I looked at this page:
>
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-f2368404.html
>

> It's not very friendly.. and not very attractive to people to be part
> of discussions.. if we have more important discussions there it would
> be easier to follow.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

dkulp

I’m -0.5 on moving them.  PR’s (and the conversations in them) are part of the development process and should be on the dev list.

Dan

> On Dec 6, 2017, at 10:00 AM, Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Can we move the github PR discussions away to a different list...
>
> I suggest we create a list called [hidden email]
>
> We could use it for all the github PRs notifications.. and eventually
> low level discussions.
>
> We should still keep general discussions on the dev list.
>

> That would probably improve communication style and decrease noise.
>

> And.. do I need a VOTE for that? or just consensus here?

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

jgenender
Daniel Kulp wrote
> I’m -0.5 on moving them.  PR’s (and the conversations in them) are part of
> the development process and should be on the dev list.

But the deluge often loses the discussion which is why some projects have
commit lists.  This is the difference between projects that work off PRs and
projects whose committers mainly just commit directly to the repository.

Unfortunately as pointed out earlier, the volume of noise created causes a
certain amount of people to lose conversations.  Some use Nabble, some use
an email client.

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic
in my view... and in my plan... going forward now I plan to make more
discussions on the dev list.. especially around this Roadmap idea.

What if:

- We move github traffic to another list.. (commit perhaps)?
- We can still use github to talk about spot on issues.. such as.. the
format here sucks... the logic here is not accurate.. etc.. etc...
which this is the kind of noise that's feeding this list like crazy.
 ..... You could use the same argument to bring JIRA comments to the
dev list.. it would be too noise.. I believe that's been the case at
some point

But if there is a meaningful discussion... then we would refer the
dev-list... just like as we do in other places. (JIRA, private list..
etc.. etc)

That seems a reasonable thing to me. It would help us to be more
active on the dev list.. which is what we need now.

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:20 PM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel Kulp wrote
>> I’m -0.5 on moving them.  PR’s (and the conversations in them) are part of
>> the development process and should be on the dev list.
>
> But the deluge often loses the discussion which is why some projects have
> commit lists.  This is the difference between projects that work off PRs and
> projects whose committers mainly just commit directly to the repository.
>
> Unfortunately as pointed out earlier, the volume of noise created causes a
> certain amount of people to lose conversations.  Some use Nabble, some use
> an email client.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-f2368404.html

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

tabish121@gmail.com
-1

Unless PR discussions can exist on the dev list I'm against moving that
to another list as that is part of the development process.

On 12/06/2017 05:34 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:

> in my view... and in my plan... going forward now I plan to make more
> discussions on the dev list.. especially around this Roadmap idea.
>

> What if:
>
> - We move github traffic to another list.. (commit perhaps)?
> - We can still use github to talk about spot on issues.. such as.. the
> format here sucks... the logic here is not accurate.. etc.. etc...
> which this is the kind of noise that's feeding this list like crazy.
>   ..... You could use the same argument to bring JIRA comments to the
> dev list.. it would be too noise.. I believe that's been the case at
> some point
>
> But if there is a meaningful discussion... then we would refer the
> dev-list... just like as we do in other places. (JIRA, private list..
> etc.. etc)
>

> That seems a reasonable thing to me. It would help us to be more
> active on the dev list.. which is what we need now.
>

> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:20 PM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Daniel Kulp wrote
>>> I’m -0.5 on moving them.  PR’s (and the conversations in them) are part of
>>> the development process and should be on the dev list.
>> But the deluge often loses the discussion which is why some projects have
>> commit lists.  This is the difference between projects that work off PRs and
>> projects whose committers mainly just commit directly to the repository.
>>
>> Unfortunately as pointed out earlier, the volume of noise created causes a
>> certain amount of people to lose conversations.  Some use Nabble, some use
>> an email client.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-f2368404.html

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic
You could use the same argument to have committs being fed here...
it's too noisy!

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:35 PM, Timothy Bish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> -1
>
> Unless PR discussions can exist on the dev list I'm against moving that to
> another list as that is part of the development process.
>

> On 12/06/2017 05:34 PM, Clebert Suconic wrote:
>>
>> in my view... and in my plan... going forward now I plan to make more
>> discussions on the dev list.. especially around this Roadmap idea.
>>

>> What if:
>>
>> - We move github traffic to another list.. (commit perhaps)?
>> - We can still use github to talk about spot on issues.. such as.. the
>> format here sucks... the logic here is not accurate.. etc.. etc...
>> which this is the kind of noise that's feeding this list like crazy.
>>   ..... You could use the same argument to bring JIRA comments to the
>> dev list.. it would be too noise.. I believe that's been the case at
>> some point
>>
>> But if there is a meaningful discussion... then we would refer the
>> dev-list... just like as we do in other places. (JIRA, private list..
>> etc.. etc)
>>

>> That seems a reasonable thing to me. It would help us to be more
>> active on the dev list.. which is what we need now.
>>

>> On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 5:20 PM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Daniel Kulp wrote

>>> But the deluge often loses the discussion which is why some projects have
>>> commit lists.  This is the difference between projects that work off PRs
>>> and
>>> projects whose committers mainly just commit directly to the repository.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately as pointed out earlier, the volume of noise created causes
>>> certain amount of people to lose conversations.  Some use Nabble, some
>>> use
>>> an email client.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from:
>>> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Dev-f2368404.html
>>

> --
> Tim Bish
> twitter: @tabish121
> blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

dkulp
They are different though… A PR discussion is exactly that… a discussion.   If there are things in the PR discussions like code suggestions and back and forth about opinions on how something is done and such, they SHOULD be on the dev list as they are dev discussions.   The commit is more “final”.

That is also the reason that the “reply-to” field on the commit list is the dev list.   If you reply to a commit, it’s starting a discussion which goes to the dev list.     Thus, if we wanted to completely mimic the commits, it would be that the “Open PR” and “Close PR" emails would go to a different list, but any discussion/replys would go to the dev list.     I’m not sure that buys much.

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp

Re: [DISCUSS] Move PR discussions to another list...

clebertsuconic
@Daniel: that's a general issue at apache.. not just activemq... just
looked now.. it's the same pattern everywhere...

It would be nice if we could fix this rule in apache... PRs is a new
thing.. and the rules needs to be updated... how/where do we go to
have a wider discussion?

12