[DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

[DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

James Carman
The new codebase does not include a web console for management
purposes.  If it is to be the next generation ActiveMQ, it will need
this feature.  Here at ApacheCon, we have talked a bit about it.  Thus
far, folks seem happy with the idea of an AngularJS-based front-end
which talks to ActiveMQ using Jolokia only.  Something this large
obviously needs to be discussed with the whole community, thus this
email.

James

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

chirino
+1 Angular is a great way to go :)
I'd recommend using a Bootstrap 3 also.

--
Hiram Chirino
Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

dguggi
or just provide hawt.io plugin?

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 5:52 PM, Hiram Chirino <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1 Angular is a great way to go :)
> I'd recommend using a Bootstrap 3 also.
>
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:40 AM, James Carman
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The new codebase does not include a web console for management
> > purposes.  If it is to be the next generation ActiveMQ, it will need
> > this feature.  Here at ApacheCon, we have talked a bit about it.  Thus
> > far, folks seem happy with the idea of an AngularJS-based front-end
> > which talks to ActiveMQ using Jolokia only.  Something this large
> > obviously needs to be discussed with the whole community, thus this
> > email.
> >
> > James
>

> --
> Hiram Chirino
> Engineering | Red Hat, Inc.
> [hidden email] | fusesource.com | redhat.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

jgenender
Yeah... I wouldn't open that can of worms... ;-)

That said, perhaps at some point in the future hawt.io could be a donation to Apache that would likely garner A LOT of support and community involvement.  Imagine the possibilities if that happened! ;-) /me ducks

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

paulgale
If Hawt.io has become/became a single page app (as opposed to the current
forward-backward navigation) then
it would be worth considering its inclusion; otherwise no. Might as well
build some Angular based replacement
console SPA from scratch in that case.

Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Paul

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Yeah... I wouldn't open that can of worms... ;-)
>
> That said, perhaps at some point in the future hawt.io could be a donation
> to Apache that would likely garner A LOT of support and community
> involvement.  Imagine the possibilities if that happened! ;-) /me ducks

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

clebertsuconic
Just to be clear. Before things diverge again.   No one is actually considering hawt.io. I took that message as just kidding.

Angular.js seems the best choice from what I have seen.

-- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.

> On Apr 16, 2015, at 08:41, Paul Gale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> If Hawt.io has become/became a single page app (as opposed to the current
> forward-backward navigation) then
> it would be worth considering its inclusion; otherwise no. Might as well
> build some Angular based replacement
> console SPA from scratch in that case.
>
> Just my two cents.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM, jgenender <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah... I wouldn't open that can of worms... ;-)
>>
>> That said, perhaps at some point in the future hawt.io could be a donation
>> to Apache that would likely garner A LOT of support and community
>> involvement.  Imagine the possibilities if that happened! ;-) /me ducks

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

dguggi
actually i were not kidding - but also didn't notice that its not an option

sorry for confusion.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Clebert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just to be clear. Before things diverge again.   No one is actually
> considering hawt.io. I took that message as just kidding.
>
> Angular.js seems the best choice from what I have seen.
>

> -- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.
>
> > On Apr 16, 2015, at 08:41, Paul Gale <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > If Hawt.io has become/became a single page app (as opposed to the current
> > forward-backward navigation) then
> > it would be worth considering its inclusion; otherwise no. Might as well
> > build some Angular based replacement
> > console SPA from scratch in that case.
> >
> > Just my two cents.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Paul
> >
> >> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM, jgenender <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yeah... I wouldn't open that can of worms... ;-)
> >>
> >> That said, perhaps at some point in the future hawt.io could be a
> donation
> >> to Apache that would likely garner A LOT of support and community
> >> involvement.  Imagine the possibilities if that happened! ;-) /me ducks

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

Petter Nordlander
I truly love the way the Apollo user interface is made. It¹s awesome and
simple.

That + some features of ActiveMQ Web Console / Hawt.io that includes
sending and retrying messages would make a great user interface for a
Reactive/Artemis.

I would probably be able to help a bit testing and bug fixing of a web
console if such a project is started.

BR Petter Nordlander

Den 2015-04-16 16:06 skrev Clebert <[hidden email]>:

>Just to be clear. Before things diverge again.   No one is actually
>considering hawt.io. I took that message as just kidding.
>
>Angular.js seems the best choice from what I have seen.
>

>-- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.
>
>> On Apr 16, 2015, at 08:41, Paul Gale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If Hawt.io has become/became a single page app (as opposed to the
>>current
>> forward-backward navigation) then
>> it would be worth considering its inclusion; otherwise no. Might as well
>> build some Angular based replacement
>> console SPA from scratch in that case.
>>
>> Just my two cents.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul
>>
>>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 8:59 AM, jgenender <[hidden email]>
>>>wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah... I wouldn't open that can of worms... ;-)
>>>
>>> That said, perhaps at some point in the future hawt.io could be a
>>>donation
>>> to Apache that would likely garner A LOT of support and community
>>> involvement.  Imagine the possibilities if that happened! ;-) /me ducks

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

clebertsuconic

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 16, 2015, at 09:35, Petter Nordlander <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I truly love the way the Apollo user interface is made. It¹s awesome and
> simple.
>
> That + some features of ActiveMQ Web Console / Hawt.io that includes
> sending and retrying messages would make a great user interface for a
> Reactive/Artemis.

+10000
Building from what Apollo have is a great idea!

> I would probably be able to help a bit testing and bug fixing of a web
> console if such a project is started.
>
> BR Petter Nordlander
>

> Den 2015-04-16 16:06 skrev Clebert <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Just to be clear. Before things diverge again.   No one is actually
>> considering hawt.io. I took that message as just kidding.
>>
>> Angular.js seems the best choice from what I have seen.
>>

>> -- Clebert Suconic typing on the iPhone.
>>
>>> On Apr 16, 2015, at 08:41, Paul Gale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> If Hawt.io has become/became a single page app (as opposed to the
>>> current
>>> forward-backward navigation) then
>>> it would be worth considering its inclusion; otherwise no. Might as well
>>> build some Angular based replacement
>>> console SPA from scratch in that case.
>>>
>>> Just my two cents.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Paul

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

Krzysztof Sobkowiak
Hi

I think it would be a good idea to have a modularized console  in ASF (no matter whether as Hawt.io donation or not),
for which other projects like Karaf, Camel, CXF, .... can build plugins and use it as an administration console.  If you
decide to build it from scratch for ActiveMQ you could design it in the way the core could be extracted as separate
project and provide a core for other projects.

Regards
Krzysztof

On 16.04.2015 14:59, jgenender wrote:

> Yeah... I wouldn't open that can of worms... ;-)
>
> That said, perhaps at some point in the future hawt.io could be a donation
> to Apache that would likely garner A LOT of support and community
> involvement.  Imagine the possibilities if that happened! ;-) /me ducks

Krzysztof Sobkowiak

JEE & OSS Architect
Apache Software Foundation Member
Apache ServiceMix <http://servicemix.apache.org/> Committer & PMC chair
Senior Solution Architect @ Capgemini SSC <http://www.pl.capgemini-sdm.com/en/>

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

A.Marchand
For what it is worth, we did such product. You can see it live or browse the repo at the following address:
https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

jgoodyear
Cool :)

Thinking about donating the web console to the AMQ Community?

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 3:05 AM, A.Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For what it is worth, we did such product. You can see it live or browse the
> repo at the following address:
> https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

A.Marchand
Without any problem if they want it. I am using and gaining my money with their products since 10 years. It would be a small drop compared to the ocean of good things I received from them.

With the new Jetty in the ActiveMQ 5.13, the CORS issues should disappear and we could probably propose a multi broker monitoring tool.

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

christopher.l.shannon
+1 for adding this as a new ActiveMQ subproject.  It could then be
independent and support both ActiveMQ 5.x and Artemis.  The web console in
5.x is definitely dated and could use an upgrade and this could be a good
alternative for people who don't want to use Hawt.io.

I think it would also be worth revisiting the stomp.js proposed donation
because this new web console uses that library and it is no longer
supported.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 3:45 AM, A.Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Without any problem if they want it. I am using and gaining my money with
> their products since 10 years. It would be a small drop compared to the
> ocean of good things I received from them.
>
> With the new Jetty in the ActiveMQ 5.13, the CORS issues should disappear
> and we could probably propose a multi broker monitoring tool.

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

artnaseef
I would love to see this console added to the ActiveMQ code base.  Whether we move it toward inclusion as a new console is something we can look at going forward.

Adding it as a tool available directly from the main broker Jetty page would be great.

Playing with AMQC against remote brokers does raise the concern of CORS.  The recommendation on the wiki was to disable the browser CORS checking - I'm not a fan of disabling security features.  With that said, including AMQC with the broker's Jetty server would eliminate that concern for the local-broker case.

The next step here would be either a Pull Request adding the code into the AMQ codebase.  It would be awesome if the code could be reused for Artemis as well, but following the "use before reuse" methodology, that can come later.

Re: [DISCUSS] ActiveMQ {CodeName} Web Console...

A.Marchand
Hi,

I am still thinking about getting the CORS working. It should be possible to get it working by finding the magic configuration between the jetty configuration and the Jolokia one.

However, I really think that the best way to go is to deploy the web app in the jetty folder because it avoids any post install trick.

Concerning the Artemis integration, I started to have a look at it, it should be possible to do something but to be honest, I think that the first step would first be to define the kind of methods that must be available by a monitoring console and to make them available via rest calls. For example, if you have a lot of connections, I did not find a way to get all the connection details (Consumers Enqueues/Dequeues) in a single rest call which is far from perfect.

Another example is that I did not manage to send a message with a non string header. The stomp protocol cannot do it and the send rest API don't let us do it either.

Once the monitoring functions well defined, and available through rest calls, it should be possible to easily code nice consoles using technology like Angular JS. And more than that, people will start to use the same interface to create monitoring consoles customised for their own projects. Before the jolokia API, we used a lot the JMX system which is for me no longer easy nor convenient.

Cheers,

Arnaud