Content of JMX property FirstTimestamp?

Pachod, Joseph (GE Healthcare)
Hello

While looking at Artemis JMX's properties, we saw the FirstTimestamp property with the following path
org.apache.activemq.artemis>artemis-esb>addresses>jms.topic.MyTopic>queues>multicast> MyTopicSubscription > Attributes> FirstTimestamp

This variable is sometime empty and sometime has some content in it.

We didn't find a description for it in the documentation, cf https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/?q=FirstTimestamp

Could you clarify what's the content of it please?

Thanks in advance

Best regards,
Joseph PACHOD
Staff Software Architect, DoseWatch
GE Healthcare

Re: Content of JMX property FirstTimestamp?

jbertram
I believe you're referring to the "FirstMessageTimestamp" attribute of the
QueueControl MBean. There is no such "FirstTimestamp" attribute on any
management bean.

The "FirstMessageTimestamp" is the timestamp (in milliseconds) of the first
message on the queue. If there is no message on the queue then the value
will be empty.

Justin

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 7:24 AM Pachod, Joseph (GE Healthcare) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> While looking at Artemis JMX's properties, we saw the FirstTimestamp
> property with the following path
> org.apache.activemq.artemis>artemis-esb>addresses>jms.topic.MyTopic>queues>multicast>
> MyTopicSubscription > Attributes> FirstTimestamp
>
> This variable is sometime empty and sometime has some content in it.
>
> We didn't find a description for it in the documentation, cf
> https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/?q=FirstTimestamp
>
> Could you clarify what's the content of it please?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards,
> Joseph PACHOD
> Staff Software Architect, DoseWatch
> GE Healthcare

RE: EXT: Re: Content of JMX property FirstTimestamp?

Pachod, Joseph (GE Healthcare)
Hi Justin

Thanks for the answer

Indeed it's FirstMessageTimestamp and not FirstTimestamp, sorry for the typo

Is there a way to contribute to the documentation to add this property?

I believe you're referring to the "FirstMessageTimestamp" attribute of the QueueControl MBean. There is no such "FirstTimestamp" attribute on any management bean.

The "FirstMessageTimestamp" is the timestamp (in milliseconds) of the first message on the queue. If there is no message on the queue then the value will be empty.

Justin

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 7:24 AM Pachod, Joseph (GE Healthcare) < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello
>
> While looking at Artemis JMX's properties, we saw the FirstTimestamp
> property with the following path
> org.apache.activemq.artemis>artemis-esb>addresses>jms.topic.MyTopic>qu
> eues>multicast> MyTopicSubscription > Attributes> FirstTimestamp
>
> This variable is sometime empty and sometime has some content in it.
>
> We didn't find a description for it in the documentation, cf
> https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/?q
> =FirstTimestamp
>
> Could you clarify what's the content of it please?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Best regards,
> Joseph PACHOD
> Staff Software Architect, DoseWatch
> GE Healthcare

Re: EXT: Re: Content of JMX property FirstTimestamp?

jbertram
The documentation for Artemis is in Git [1] just like the source code. In
fact, the entire website is in Git [2] as well.

That said, this attribute *is* documented (along with all the other MBean
attributes) in the API documentation available on the ActiveMQ website [3].
Here's a direct link [4]. This documentation is explicitly not in the
general user manual in order to ease maintenance. Maintaining the same
basic documentation in 2 different places would be a bit of a waste of
time. Links from the user manual directly to the API docs would probably be
a good addition.

Justin

[1]
https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/tree/master/docs/user-manual/en
[2] https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/
[3] http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/
[4]
http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/javadocs/javadoc-latest/org/apache/activemq/artemis/api/core/management/QueueControl.html#getFirstMessageTimestamp--

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM Pachod, Joseph (GE Healthcare) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Justin
>
> Thanks for the answer
>
> Indeed it's FirstMessageTimestamp and not FirstTimestamp, sorry for the
> typo
>
> Is there a way to contribute to the documentation to add this property?

Thanks a lot once more

I hadn't seen the API Documentation.

Regarding "Links from the user manual directly to the API docs would probably be a good addition.": how would you see that? Not knowing the build stack the easiest option feels like being a relative link but it's pretty weak and I don't see how to handle non latest documentation.

Cheers

The documentation for Artemis is in Git [1] just like the source code. In fact, the entire website is in Git [2] as well.

That said, this attribute *is* documented (along with all the other MBean
attributes) in the API documentation available on the ActiveMQ website [3].
Here's a direct link [4]. This documentation is explicitly not in the general user manual in order to ease maintenance. Maintaining the same basic documentation in 2 different places would be a bit of a waste of time. Links from the user manual directly to the API docs would probably be a good addition.

Justin

[1]
https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/tree/master/docs/user-manual/en
[2] https://github.com/apache/activemq-website/
[3] http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/
[4]
http://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/javadocs/javadoc-latest/org/apache/activemq/artemis/api/core/management/QueueControl.html#getFirstMessageTimestamp--

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 8:38 AM Pachod, Joseph (GE Healthcare) < [hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Justin
>
> Thanks for the answer
>
> Indeed it's FirstMessageTimestamp and not FirstTimestamp, sorry for
> the typo
>
> Is there a way to contribute to the documentation to add this property?

I think relative links make the most sense, but it looks like the
documentation on the website would have to be restructured to allow them
(e.g. putting the JavaDocs and User Manual "under" the same version
directory).

Justin