Code donation for stomp.js

Jeff Mesnil
Hi,

I'm the writer of the stomp.js[1] which is a JavaScript library to use
STOMP (over TCP or Web Sockets).
This library is used to send and receive messages from Web
applications and is often used in conjunction with ActiveMQ. It can
also be used from JavaScript applications running in node.js[2] too.
ActiveMQ is shipped with it to run its we socket example[3]

This library was developed and maintained on my spare time but due to
recent development in my life (mainly having a new baby) I no longer
have much free time to maintain this library.
The library is small, quite stable and documented[4] (I also wrote a
book[5] for O'Reilly about it using ActiveMQ as the broker :) but
there is still work to iron things out (mainly compatibility with
various Web browsers).

I don't want it to become abandonware and I'm looking for an Open
Source community which could take care of it.
ActiveMQ is my first choice as it has always been very supportive of
STOMP and was one of the first broker to support Web Sockets.

The project is under the Apache License v2.0

My only regret with this project is to have rewritten it at one point
using CoffeeScript. I think it has hampered contributions (most of the
patches updates the generated JavaScript) without much benefit (the
CoffeeScript code[6] is just a bit more readable than the generated
JavaScript[7]).
If the ActiveMQ community is interested by this library, I'd be happy
to provide any assistance during the transition.

What do you think of this code donation? Would there be some interest?

Thanks,
jeff

[1] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket
[2] https://www.npmjs.com/package/stompjs
[3] https://github.com/apache/activemq/tree/master/activemq-web-demo/src/main/webapp/websocket
[4] http://jmesnil.net/stomp-websocket/doc/
[5] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920032366.do
[6] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket/blob/master/src/stomp.coffee
[7] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket/blob/master/lib/stomp.js

--
Jeff Mesnil
[hidden email]
http://jmesnil.net/weblog/

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

clebertsuconic
IMHO I think this should be imported as a folder on both activemq5
project, and activemq-6.. and be integrated with Maven.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Jeff Mesnil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm the writer of the stomp.js[1] which is a JavaScript library to use
> STOMP (over TCP or Web Sockets).
> This library is used to send and receive messages from Web
> applications and is often used in conjunction with ActiveMQ. It can
> also be used from JavaScript applications running in node.js[2] too.
> ActiveMQ is shipped with it to run its we socket example[3]
>
> This library was developed and maintained on my spare time but due to
> recent development in my life (mainly having a new baby) I no longer
> have much free time to maintain this library.
> The library is small, quite stable and documented[4] (I also wrote a
> book[5] for O'Reilly about it using ActiveMQ as the broker :) but
> there is still work to iron things out (mainly compatibility with
> various Web browsers).
>
> I don't want it to become abandonware and I'm looking for an Open
> Source community which could take care of it.
> ActiveMQ is my first choice as it has always been very supportive of
> STOMP and was one of the first broker to support Web Sockets.
>
> The project is under the Apache License v2.0
>
> My only regret with this project is to have rewritten it at one point
> using CoffeeScript. I think it has hampered contributions (most of the
> patches updates the generated JavaScript) without much benefit (the
> CoffeeScript code[6] is just a bit more readable than the generated
> JavaScript[7]).
> If the ActiveMQ community is interested by this library, I'd be happy
> to provide any assistance during the transition.
>
> What do you think of this code donation? Would there be some interest?
>
> Thanks,
> jeff
>
> [1] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket
> [2] https://www.npmjs.com/package/stompjs
> [3] https://github.com/apache/activemq/tree/master/activemq-web-demo/src/main/webapp/websocket
> [4] http://jmesnil.net/stomp-websocket/doc/
> [5] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920032366.do
> [6] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket/blob/master/src/stomp.coffee
> [7] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket/blob/master/lib/stomp.js
>
> --
> Jeff Mesnil
> [hidden email]
> http://jmesnil.net/weblog/

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

ceposta
I think this would be a valuable contribution to the ActiveMQ code base.
Thanks for offering!

--
*Christian Posta*
twitter: @christianposta
http://www.christianposta.com/blog
http://fabric8.io

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

clebertsuconic
+1

Should we add a pom.xml into this?

I looked into jeff's folder and there is no Maven.. but this is javascript

How would that get packaged on the distribution within activemq-5? (I
will take a look on monday after the holidays.. but if anyone have any
pointers...)

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 11:13 AM, Christian Posta
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think this would be a valuable contribution to the ActiveMQ code base.
> Thanks for offering!
>
> On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 6:13 AM, Jeff Mesnil <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm the writer of the stomp.js[1] which is a JavaScript library to use
>> STOMP (over TCP or Web Sockets).
>> This library is used to send and receive messages from Web
>> applications and is often used in conjunction with ActiveMQ. It can
>> also be used from JavaScript applications running in node.js[2] too.
>> ActiveMQ is shipped with it to run its we socket example[3]
>>
>> This library was developed and maintained on my spare time but due to
>> recent development in my life (mainly having a new baby) I no longer
>> have much free time to maintain this library.
>> The library is small, quite stable and documented[4] (I also wrote a
>> book[5] for O'Reilly about it using ActiveMQ as the broker :) but
>> there is still work to iron things out (mainly compatibility with
>> various Web browsers).
>>
>> I don't want it to become abandonware and I'm looking for an Open
>> Source community which could take care of it.
>> ActiveMQ is my first choice as it has always been very supportive of
>> STOMP and was one of the first broker to support Web Sockets.
>>
>> The project is under the Apache License v2.0
>>
>> My only regret with this project is to have rewritten it at one point
>> using CoffeeScript. I think it has hampered contributions (most of the
>> patches updates the generated JavaScript) without much benefit (the
>> CoffeeScript code[6] is just a bit more readable than the generated
>> JavaScript[7]).
>> If the ActiveMQ community is interested by this library, I'd be happy
>> to provide any assistance during the transition.
>>
>> What do you think of this code donation? Would there be some interest?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> jeff
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket
>> [2] https://www.npmjs.com/package/stompjs
>> [3]
>> https://github.com/apache/activemq/tree/master/activemq-web-demo/src/main/webapp/websocket
>> [4] http://jmesnil.net/stomp-websocket/doc/
>> [5] http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920032366.do
>> [6]
>> https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket/blob/master/src/stomp.coffee
>> [7] https://github.com/jmesnil/stomp-websocket/blob/master/lib/stomp.js
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Mesnil
>> [hidden email]
>> http://jmesnil.net/weblog/
>>

> --
> *Christian Posta*
> twitter: @christianposta
> http://www.christianposta.com/blog
> http://fabric8.io

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

artnaseef
On the placement question - is there anything ActiveMQ-specific?

If not, would it be best with its own repo, like ActiveMQ-CPP?

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

clebertsuconic
Have its own repo would be actually a good thing.. it would be even
independent of broker. (think of Apollo, ActiveMQ, ActiveMQ-?, and
even the actual HornetQ would work with this).

Are there any examples within ActiveMQ5 that could consume this?

You would need a maven pom anyways so it could be uploaded and
consumed from projects.

On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 4:12 PM, artnaseef <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On the placement question - is there anything ActiveMQ-specific?
>
> If not, would it be best with its own repo, like ActiveMQ-CPP?

http://community.jboss.org/people/clebert.suconic@...
http://clebertsuconic.blogspot.com

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

Jeff Mesnil
Hi,

Resurrecting this thread, I have some cycles to work on  the code donation.

What are the next steps to move things forward?

I had a look at Apache Code Donation page[1] but it looks heavyweight
for such a simple project (the project is already under ASL2 too).

People are still reporting issues and I'd be happy to help move these
contributions to Apache git repo and JIRA.

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
--
Jeff Mesnil
[hidden email]
http://jmesnil.net/weblog/

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

tabish121@gmail.com
On 12/04/2015 10:39 AM, Jeff Mesnil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Resurrecting this thread, I have some cycles to work on  the code donation.
>
> What are the next steps to move things forward?
>
> I had a look at Apache Code Donation page[1] but it looks heavyweight
> for such a simple project (the project is already under ASL2 too).
>
> People are still reporting issues and I'd be happy to help move these
> contributions to Apache git repo and JIRA.
>
> [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
When do the producers close, after the maxReconnectAttempts is hit and
the reconnection logic stops trying or immediately?  You might consider
trying to boil this down to a unit test similar to others in the
activemq-pool project to try and show the problem in the simplest form.

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

On 02/09/2016 10:01 AM, Timothy Bish wrote:
> When do the producers close, after the maxReconnectAttempts is hit and
> the reconnection logic stops trying or immediately?  You might consider
> trying to boil this down to a unit test similar to others in the
> activemq-pool project to try and show the problem in the simplest form.
Oops, hit reply on the wrong thread, ignore this ;)

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

xabhi
Hi ActiveMQ Devs,

Are there any updates on this front? I am looking at STOMP javascript clients for Node.js and would like to know if stomp.js will be maintained as actively as it was in the past. It is a simple and well documented API and  would like to use it against others. My only biggest concern is whether this will maintained or not? I see a lot of bugs/enhacements pending on the github page.

I am asking this because I am considering few APIs for my project and stability/maintenance of the API will be a big concern for me.

Could anyone from ActiveMQ community comment about the code adoption - when will it be taken up?

Thanks,
Abhi

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

ArturoBelano
I would also like to see this project maintained.  Any updates on this?

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

christopher.l.shannon
I'm not sure what the status of this is at the moment, there really hasn't
been anymore discussion about it.  The main issue I see is I don't know
that there is anyone part of the ActiveMQ community who would be willing to
maintain the project and be in charge of bug fixes and releases.

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:16 PM, ArturoBelano <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I would also like to see this project maintained.  Any updates on this?

Re: Code donation for stomp.js

clebertsuconic
We could create a directory within Artemis for this.

I'm not really sure how to unit test javascript. It has been a long
time since I done it.. but nothing that we wouldn't figure out.