Clarification of dispatched/dequed/enqueued statistics

Clarification of dispatched/dequed/enqueued statistics

Anand R
Hi All,
     I would like to understand the meaning of the values shown in web
console (Subscribers page) for:
* Dispatched Counter
* Enqueue Counter
* Dequeue Counter

I thought they meant the following:
* Dispatched Counter - # of messages attempted to be delivered to the
destination
* Enqueue Counter - # of messages published to this destination
* Dequeue Counter - # of messages acked by the destination

But I see some stats which show:
* Dispatched Counter - 10
* Enqueue Counter - 2
* Dequeue Counter - 10

How can enqueue counter be less than dispatched?

Appreciate if anyone could clarify.

Thanks,
Anand

Re: Clarification of dispatched/dequed/enqueued statistics

Tim Bain
Dispatched is # of times the message was sent to a consumer's prefetch
buffer to be consumed, and Dequeued is # of times the message was
successfully consumed.  Both relate to taking messages out of the
destination, not to putting them into it.

Dequeued will be > Enqueued if the # of consumers for which the message
matches consumers' selectors is > 1; in your case, it looks like you have 5
consumers.  Dispatched will be > Dequeued if messages are sent to a
consumer's prefetch buffer but not consumed (e.g. if a durable subscriber
disconnects with messages still in its prefetch buffer, then reconnects,
gets those messages a second time, and consumes them).

Tim
On Dec 9, 2014 5:06 PM, "Anand R" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>      I would like to understand the meaning of the values shown in web
> console (Subscribers page) for:
> * Dispatched Counter
> * Enqueue Counter
> * Dequeue Counter
>

> I thought they meant the following:
> * Dispatched Counter - # of messages attempted to be delivered to the
> destination
> * Enqueue Counter - # of messages published to this destination
> * Dequeue Counter - # of messages acked by the destination
>

> But I see some stats which show:
> * Dispatched Counter - 10
> * Enqueue Counter - 2
> * Dequeue Counter - 10
>

> How can enqueue counter be less than dispatched?
>
> Appreciate if anyone could clarify.
>
> Thanks,
> Anand

Re: Clarification of dispatched/dequed/enqueued statistics

jsantew
So what does it mean if I have 3 messages enqueued, 1 consumer and 0 messages
dequeued? Does the mean the subscriber didn't receive the messages since
they were not dequeued?

Re: Clarification of dispatched/dequed/enqueued statistics

Tim Bain
It means that the consumer did not acknowledge the messages, which might or
might not be because it didn't receive them.

Are any selectors in use for this destination? Those could cause
non-matching messages to not be delivered to the consumer.

Tim