[Artemis] Detect slow consumers stop being slow

[Artemis] Detect slow consumers stop being slow

art.licis
Dear community,

I already have health monitor for ActiveMQ 5.x, and trying to do similar for
Artemis. One of the main features is to notify when there's a slow consumer,
and also notify when a consumer stops being slow consumer.

For 5.x, I used JMX to query for SlowConsumer=true properties (if anyone
interested, it's on a github:
https://github.com/art-licis/activemq-jmx-monitor). I know I could use
notifications, but I needed JMX anyway to update list of outstanding slow
consumers and detect when they are not slow anymore.

Now, there's a question on how I do it with Artemis? I can only detect slow
consumer using notification queue (_AMQ_NotifType: CONSUMER_SLOW), and I
couldn't find per-consumer status when browsing through JMX. Anything else
I'm missing or I could use for this? (NB: I also looked into Core Management
API, but it looks pretty much the same as JMX).

So any advice or hints are appreciated. Also, if there's any related
development backlog for this, I'd be very happy to contribute, just let me
know,- I'm studying sources atm and trying to identify the first issues to
start working on.

Best,
Art

Re: [Artemis] Detect slow consumers stop being slow

Justin Bertram
The core management API is exposed over JMX so they're essentially exactly
the same.  As far as I know the documentation for the slow-consumer
detection is up to date (which only describes the notification I believe).
Feel free to send a pull-request for a per-consumer attribute, etc.  There
is an issue open regarding how the slow-consumer detection actually works,
but nothing regarding the functionality you're looking for.

Justin

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 6:15 AM, art.licis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear community,
>
> I already have health monitor for ActiveMQ 5.x, and trying to do similar
> for
> Artemis. One of the main features is to notify when there's a slow
> consumer,
> and also notify when a consumer stops being slow consumer.
>
> For 5.x, I used JMX to query for SlowConsumer=true properties (if anyone
> interested, it's on a github:
> https://github.com/art-licis/activemq-jmx-monitor). I know I could use
> notifications, but I needed JMX anyway to update list of outstanding slow
> consumers and detect when they are not slow anymore.
>
> Now, there's a question on how I do it with Artemis? I can only detect slow
> consumer using notification queue (_AMQ_NotifType: CONSUMER_SLOW), and I
> couldn't find per-consumer status when browsing through JMX. Anything else
> I'm missing or I could use for this? (NB: I also looked into Core
> Management
> API, but it looks pretty much the same as JMX).
>
> So any advice or hints are appreciated. Also, if there's any related
> development backlog for this, I'd be very happy to contribute, just let me
> know,- I'm studying sources atm and trying to identify the first issues to
> start working on.
>
> Best,
> Art

> f2341805.html

Re: [Artemis] Detect slow consumers stop being slow

art.licis
Thanks for the clarification. I'll do the necessary research and,
hopefully, come up with a proposal as a PR.

- Art