[Artemis] - Can last value queue be sent to multiple consumers?

[Artemis] - Can last value queue be sent to multiple consumers?

Lionel van den Berg
Hi,

I'm currently using activemq and now looking into Artemis. One of the
interest features I see is the is the last-value queue option. However what
I want to use it for is for regularly updating data and not so regular
updating data where the last value is always the only interesting value,
but where that data is interesting to multiple consumers.

A bit more on my design thought in case I've missed another better
solution. I have many workstations that connect, disconnect and change user
role. They all use a sub-set of the same data that I want to publish to
dedicated queues (last value) or topics. When a workstation connects, I
want it to be able to get the most recent value immediately. I then want
them all to be receiving updates as they happen. I can solve it through
triggering a publish in the software when a new workstation connects, but
if the messaging system can help me then that is better.

Thanks

Lionel.

Re: [Artemis] - Can last value queue be sent to multiple consumers?

Justin Bertram
What client protocol/API are you going to be using?

I think you could accomplish what you're after by using a multicast address
with multiple last-value queues which represent all your workstations.  How
you access those will depend on what protocol/API you decide to use.

Justin

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Lionel van den Berg <[hidden email]>

> I'm currently using activemq and now looking into Artemis. One of the
> interest features I see is the is the last-value queue option. However what
> I want to use it for is for regularly updating data and not so regular
> updating data where the last value is always the only interesting value,
> but where that data is interesting to multiple consumers.
>
> A bit more on my design thought in case I've missed another better
> solution. I have many workstations that connect, disconnect and change user
> role. They all use a sub-set of the same data that I want to publish to
> dedicated queues (last value) or topics. When a workstation connects, I
> want it to be able to get the most recent value immediately. I then want
> them all to be receiving updates as they happen. I can solve it through
> triggering a publish in the software when a new workstation connects, but
> if the messaging system can help me then that is better.
>
> Thanks
>
> Lionel.

Re: [Artemis] - Can last value queue be sent to multiple consumers?

Lionel van den Berg
I can be flexible on the protocol. Currently we are using openwire.

For the option of a multicast address, is this an activemq configuration or
network configuration? OK, it's in activemq and there is some
documentation, I'll get to ready. At first glance it seems there are some
limitations, but it looks worth my time to understand how it would work.

On 13 August 2017 at 07:05, Justin Bertram <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What client protocol/API are you going to be using?
>
> I think you could accomplish what you're after by using a multicast address
> with multiple last-value queues which represent all your workstations.  How
> you access those will depend on what protocol/API you decide to use.
>

> Justin
>
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:13 AM, Lionel van den Berg <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm currently using activemq and now looking into Artemis. One of the
> > interest features I see is the is the last-value queue option. However
> what
> > I want to use it for is for regularly updating data and not so regular
> > updating data where the last value is always the only interesting value,
> > but where that data is interesting to multiple consumers.
> >
> > A bit more on my design thought in case I've missed another better
> > solution. I have many workstations that connect, disconnect and change
> user
> > role. They all use a sub-set of the same data that I want to publish to
> > dedicated queues (last value) or topics. When a workstation connects, I
> > want it to be able to get the most recent value immediately. I then want
> > them all to be receiving updates as they happen. I can solve it through
> > triggering a publish in the software when a new workstation connects, but
> > if the messaging system can help me then that is better.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Lionel.

Re: [Artemis] - Can last value queue be sent to multiple consumers?

Justin Bertram
A multicast address is something you configure on the ActiveMQ Artemis
broker.  See more details in the documentation [1].

Justin

[1] http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/latest/address-model.html