Quantcast

Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

abhijith
This post was updated on .
Hi,

We have a shared datastore setup and are currently running v1.4.  We are planning to upgrade to v2.1 with the same configuration.

One of the question which came up was if datastore itself compatible with 2 major versions?  If we have to rollback v2.1 to v1.4 after upgrade for some reason will datastore work seamlessly between both versions?

There is always an option to shut it down, take backup and put it back.  Wondering what is recommended here?  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Abhi

Re: Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

clebertsuconic
It's not. You have to export and import it again.

The address names won't require prefixes.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:39 PM abhijith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a shared datastore setup and are currently running v1.4.  We are
> planning to upgrade to v2.1 with the same configuration.
>
> One of the question which came up was if datastore itself compatible with 2
> major versions?  If we have to rollback v2.1 for some reason will it work
> seamlessly between both versions?
>
> There is always an option to shut it down take backup and put it back.
> Wondering what is recommended here?  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Abhi

Re: Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

there's also the convert tool for the config.

I recommend you testing (of course) the migration path somewhere
outside of production.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 4:26 PM, abhijith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a shared datastore setup and are currently running v1.4.  We are
> planning to upgrade to v2.1 with the same configuration.
>
> One of the question which came up was if datastore itself compatible with 2
> major versions?  If we have to rollback v2.1 for some reason will it work
> seamlessly between both versions?
>
> There is always an option to shut it down take backup and put it back.
> Wondering what is recommended here?  Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Abhi

Re: Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

abhijith
Thanks for the info.  I am assuming you are referring to `data` option present on server/bin/artemis and not distribution.  Please let me know if both are same.

Another question on migration,

Will 1.4 clients work with 2.0 or they have to migrate.  I was hoping they can continue to work with 1.4 client and we add anycastPrefix and multicastPrefix on the acceptor.  Please let me know if this will work.

Thanks
Abhi

Re: Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

clebertsuconic
I think it will work.

That's an area Justin Bertram and Martyn Taylor worked closer. I will let
them answer.

I can do some research about it tomorrow if they are out tomorrow for any
reason.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM abhijith <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  I am assuming you are referring to `data` option
> present on server/bin/artemis and not distribution.  Please let me know if
> both are same.
>
> Another question on migration,
>
> Will 1.4 clients work with 2.0 or they have to migrate.  I was hoping they
> can continue to work with 1.4 client and we add anycastPrefix and
> multicastPrefix on the acceptor.  Please let me know if this will work.
>
> Thanks
> Abhi

Re: Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

clebertsuconic
One thing is certain. It should work. If not we should fix it.

On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 7:33 PM Clebert Suconic <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I think it will work.
>
> That's an area Justin Bertram and Martyn Taylor worked closer. I will let
> them answer.
>

> I can do some research about it tomorrow if they are out tomorrow for any
> reason.
>

> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 6:53 PM abhijith <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the info.  I am assuming you are referring to `data` option
>> present on server/bin/artemis and not distribution.  Please let me know if
>> both are same.
>>
>> Another question on migration,
>>
>> Will 1.4 clients work with 2.0 or they have to migrate.  I was hoping they
>> can continue to work with 1.4 client and we add anycastPrefix and
>> multicastPrefix on the acceptor.  Please let me know if this will work.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Abhi

> Clebert Suconic

Re: Artemis 2.0 upgrade Shared datastore

abhijith
I don't think it works.  Atleast I found one issue in getJMSDestination header.  There is check in ActiveMQDestination.fromAddress() method to check for address to startsWith jms.queue or jms.topic.  In v2.0 broker is adding the address without this prefix even when anycastPrefix or multicastPrefix is specified.

I will let Justin or Martyn confirm this or let me know if there is a workaround.  We dearly would like to have 1.4 clients working on 2.0, otherwise we have to upgrade all clients along with broker which becomes really difficult.