Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

tabish121@gmail.com
                      ***** ANNOUNCEMENT *****

The Apache NMS 1.2.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available at the
following location:

http://people.apache.org/~tabish/nms-1.2.0-RC1

The following projects are included:

Apache.NMS
Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ
Apache.NMS.EMS
Apache.NMS.MSMQ
Apache.NMS.WCF

There are release binaries and debug binaries (with PDBs) provided.  The
binary ZIP files include pre-built assemblies for all of the platforms
that are supported by each project (e.g., .NET 2.0, Mono, .NET 3.5,
etc).  Not all projects support all platforms.  Please note that in
order to use the Apache.NMS.EMS project files, you will need to provide
your own copy of the TIBCO.EMS.dll, as this is a licensed 3rd Party
application.

Please report any issues or problems you have with these files.

Re: Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

magellings
Was it expected to  have breaking changes?

Error 7 The property or indexer 'Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ.Session.PrefetchSize' cannot be used in this context because it lacks the get accessor C:\WIP\QuadNMS\src\NMS.Integration.Test\PrefetchZeroPullTest.cs 162 109 NMS.Integration.Test
Error 8 The property or indexer 'Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ.Session.MaximumPendingMessageLimit' cannot be used in this context because it lacks the get accessor C:\WIP\QuadNMS\src\NMS.Integration.Test\DestinationFactoryTest.cs 196 54 NMS.Integration.Test

Timothy Bish wrote

On Mon, 2009-12-07 at 11:56 -0800, magellings wrote:

> Was it expected to  have breaking changes?
>
> Error 7 The property or indexer 'Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ.Session.PrefetchSize'
> cannot be used in this context because it lacks the get accessor
> C:\WIP\QuadNMS\src\NMS.Integration.Test\PrefetchZeroPullTest.cs 162 109
> NMS.Integration.Test
> Error 8 The property or indexer
> 'Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ.Session.MaximumPendingMessageLimit' cannot be used in
> this context because it lacks the get accessor
> C:\WIP\QuadNMS\src\NMS.Integration.Test\DestinationFactoryTest.cs 196 54
> NMS.Integration.Test

Yes, this version will have some breaking changes if you are using non
NMS API defined methods  These properties are now set via the
PrefetchPolicy owned by the Connection class.

Regards
Tim.

http://fusesource.com
http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

magellings
Hey Tim.  Could you explain this a bit more?  How come this isn't possible.  Seems like it should be.  Thanks

Quad.NMS.Integration.Test.PrefetchZeroPullTest.Should_be_able_to_set_prefetch_to_zero_and_nms_activemq_enables_pull_mode : Apache.NMS.NMSException : Cannot set Asynchronous Listener on a Consumer with a zero Prefetch size

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 08:38 -0800, magellings wrote:
> Hey Tim.  Could you explain this a bit more?  How come this isn't possible.
> Seems like it should be.  Thanks :-)
>
> Quad.NMS.Integration.Test.PrefetchZeroPullTest.Should_be_able_to_set_prefetch_to_zero_and_nms_activemq_enables_pull_mode
> : Apache.NMS.NMSException : Cannot set Asynchronous Listener on a Consumer
> with a zero Prefetch size

With prefetch set to zero there is never going to be any messages
delivered from the broker.  The perfetch zero setting basically turns
your client into a pull consumer, each time you call
IMessageConsumer.Receive a MessagePull command it sent to the Broker, if
a message is available then one is delivered to the client.  With an
asynchronous consumer there is nothing to initiate the MessagePull from
the broker, so you'd never receive a message.

Regards
Tim.

> Timothy Bish wrote:
> >
> >                       ***** ANNOUNCEMENT *****
> >
> > The Apache NMS 1.2.0 Release Candidate 1 is now available at the
> > following location:
> >
> > http://people.apache.org/~tabish/nms-1.2.0-RC1
> >
> > The following projects are included:
> >
> > Apache.NMS
> > Apache.NMS.ActiveMQ
> > Apache.NMS.EMS
> > Apache.NMS.MSMQ
> > Apache.NMS.WCF
> >
> > There are release binaries and debug binaries (with PDBs) provided.  The
> > binary ZIP files include pre-built assemblies for all of the platforms
> > that are supported by each project (e.g., .NET 2.0, Mono, .NET 3.5,
> > etc).  Not all projects support all platforms.  Please note that in
> > order to use the Apache.NMS.EMS project files, you will need to provide
> > your own copy of the TIBCO.EMS.dll, as this is a licensed 3rd Party
> > application.
> >
> > Please report any issues or problems you have with these files.
> >
> > Regards
> > Tim Bish

Re: Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

magellings
So when assigning a delegate (e.g. OnMessage) to the Listener event on the message consumer, the framework can't pull for another message after the scope of the delegate ends?  Is this how the java implementation behaves?  This isn't a big deal, we already were defaulting to doing pulls manually with MessageConsumer.Receive if prefetch is set to zero.  I guess just in my head I expected it to do it automatically even with the listener event assigned.

http://activemq.apache.org/what-is-the-prefetch-limit-for.html

"Specifying a prefetch limit of zero means the consumer will poll for more messages, one at a time, instead of the message being pushed to the consumer."

-Mark

Timothy Bish wrote

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 10:09 -0800, magellings wrote:
> So when assigning a delegate (e.g. OnMessage) to the Listener event on the
> message consumer, the framework can't pull for another message after the
> scope of the delegate ends?  Is this how the java implementation behaves?
> This isn't a big deal, we already were defaulting to doing pulls manually
> with MessageConsumer.Receive if prefetch is set to zero.  I guess just in my
> head I expected it to do it automatically even with the listener event
> assigned.

This is exactly how the Java and C++ clients behave as well, and its by
design.  If you want an asynchronous consumer then you need to set a
prefetch of at least one, then when a message is available the broker
will dispatch it, otherwise there's no traffic needed between client and
broker other than the keep alive commands.  The prefetch zero
functionality was introduced into AMQ for the purpose of having a
polling only consumer model.

We want to try to keep the openwire clients as close in functionality as
possible so that using them is as seamless as possible.

Regards
Tim.

http://fusesource.com
http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

magellings
K.  This makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation/clarification Tim.

Timothy Bish wrote

http://fusesource.com
http://timbish.blogspot.com/

Re: Apache NMS 1.2.0 RC1 now ready for download.

magellings
-1

Created a number of issues [1], the biggy being disposal behavior of the Session class [2].  The other issues we could work around, but the change in disposal behavior would prevent us from moving to v1.2 as we run our consumers as windows services.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/activemq/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&pid=11010&created:previous=-1w&sorter/field=created&sorter/order=DESC
[2] https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQNET-218

Regards,