Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

12

Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jonathan_at_svg
Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE? Hoping to find someone with a tutorial or a working service.xml...

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
I'm not aware of anyone doing it...  that's an area that contributions are
welcomed.. I would be supportive though when you hit issues.

jonathan_at_svg
Yah if we get it working I'll post the config back here. I was hoping there was a generic guide for the JCA adapter somewhere, any chance you could me in the right direction?

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
It's under the examples. (I'm not 100% sure it's the best place but it's
where it is now)

on the distribution:

./examples/features/sub-modules/artemis-ra-rar

mvn install would generate the JARs.. etc...
https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/tree/master/examples/features/sub-modules/artemis-ra-rar

jonathan_at_svg
Does Artemis have an ActivationSpec class to configure JCA / MDBs?

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.inflow.ActiveMQActivationSpec

it implements javax.resource.spi.ActivationSpec

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 4:27 PM, jonathan_at_svg <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does Artemis have an ActivationSpec class to configure JCA / MDBs?

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jonathan_at_svg
Nice! Thanks I looked all over the javadoc and somehow missed that.

Ok, the resource adapter needs configuration. Is that done via the connectionParameters property? If so, is there any docs on what goes into that field?

Currently on boot I'm throwing this stack trace:

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: must provide either TransportType or DiscoveryGroupAddress and DiscoveryGroupPort for ResourceAdapter Connection Factory
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter.createActiveMQConnectionFactory(ActiveMQResourceAdapter.java:1707)
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter.setup(ActiveMQResourceAdapter.java:1552)
        at org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter.start(ActiveMQResourceAdapter.java:245)
        at org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.doCreateResource(Assembler.java:2629)
        at org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.createResource(Assembler.java:2442)
        at org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.buildContainerSystem(Assembler.java:527)
        at org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.build(Assembler.java:439)
        ... 17 more

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
I have been putting connectionURI everywhere I could, and it seems
this is specifically missing that part:

For now, you will have to specify:

connectionParameters="host=127.0.0.1;port=5446"
connectorClassName="org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.remoting.impl.netty.NettyConnectorFactory"

If you provide me with anything to get to where you are, I could
change the Spec to accept a parameter with an URI, so you could use
"tcp://HOST:Port", what should be much simpler.

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 4:44 PM, jonathan_at_svg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice! Thanks I looked all over the javadoc and somehow missed that.
>
> Ok, the resource adapter needs configuration. Is that done via the
> connectionParameters property? If so, is there any docs on what goes into
> that field?
>
> Currently on boot I'm throwing this stack trace:
>
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: must provide either
> TransportType or DiscoveryGroupAddress and DiscoveryGroupPort for
> ResourceAdapter Connection Factory
>         at
> org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter.createActiveMQConnectionFactory(ActiveMQResourceAdapter.java:1707)
>         at
> org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter.setup(ActiveMQResourceAdapter.java:1552)
>         at
> org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQResourceAdapter.start(ActiveMQResourceAdapter.java:245)
>         at
> org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.doCreateResource(Assembler.java:2629)
>         at
> org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.createResource(Assembler.java:2442)
>         at
> org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.buildContainerSystem(Assembler.java:527)
>         at org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.build(Assembler.java:439)
>         ... 17 more

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jonathan_at_svg
Thanks, that gets me a bit further.

You can follow my progress here: http://tomee-openejb.979440.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-Artemis-td4676407.html

Looks like the connector is starting to start...

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

andytaylor
or

connectorClassName="org.apache.activemq.artemis.core.remoting.impl.invm.InVMConnectorFactory"
connectionParameters="server-id=0"

if you have a invm acceptor

On 05/10/15 22:22, Clebert Suconic [via ActiveMQ] wrote:

> [...]
>
>  >         at
>  >
> org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.createResource(Assembler.java:2442)
>
>  >         at
>  >
> org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.buildContainerSystem(Assembler.java:527)
>
>  >         at
> org.apache.openejb.assembler.classic.Assembler.build(Assembler.java:439)
>  >         ... 17 more
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > --
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Anyone-have-Artemis-working-with-Apache-TomEE-tp4702611p4702631.html
>  > Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jonathan_at_svg
So ideally... It would be BA to have an embedded broker in the VM accepting connections "in VM", then a single (unreliable) TCP uplink to a centralized broker. This is the pattern we've been trying to get working with normal ActiveMQ, but the embedded ActiveMQ broker in TomEE will not pass messages upstream to an external ActiveMQ instance, (but oddly enough will happily exchange messages with other embedded brokers).

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
Tomee is requiring an interface being returned by the ResourceAdapter
and we are returning an actual endpoint, what's causing some issues as
they can't play with a proxy.

We will have to do some work but I can't figure out what yet.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 11:21 AM, jonathan_at_svg
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So ideally... It would be BA to have an embedded broker in the VM accepting
> connections "in VM", then a single (unreliable) TCP uplink to a centralized
> broker. This is the pattern we've been trying to get working with normal
> ActiveMQ, but the embedded ActiveMQ broker in TomEE will not pass messages
> upstream to an external ActiveMQ instance, (but oddly enough will happily
> exchange messages with other embedded brokers).

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

andytaylor
Whats the use case for having an embedded Broker as well as a remote
one, is it just for availability if the remote broker is offline?

btw it should be pretty easy to set up a bridge between the embedded and
the remote broker, there is a bridge example shipped with the distro.

On 06/10/15 16:21, jonathan_at_svg [via ActiveMQ] wrote:

> So ideally... It would be BA to have an embedded broker in the VM
> accepting connections "in VM", then a single (unreliable) TCP uplink to
> a centralized broker. This is the pattern we've been trying to get
> working with normal ActiveMQ, but the embedded ActiveMQ broker in TomEE
> will not pass messages upstream to an external ActiveMQ instance, (but
> oddly enough will happily exchange messages with other embedded brokers).

> <
> NAML
> <
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jonathan_at_svg
Yes, that is the main motivation. ...that and we burst messages. Like we'll be sitting idle for a bit, then suddenly need to send 500 messages in under a second. Inter-VM deals with traffic jams a lot better than TCP.

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jonathan_at_svg
An alternative may be to simply implement the javax.resource.spi.DissociatableManagedConnection interface if that's possible... Romain said that's one of the big reason they create proxies is to do connection tracking.

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

I'm a bit tied up now.. I'm planning to work on it next week, but I
welcome anyone (you?) on contributing a fix...

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 2:36 PM, jonathan_at_svg
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, that is the main motivation. ...that and we burst messages. Like we'll
> be sitting idle for a bit, then suddenly need to send 500 messages in under
> a second. Inter-VM deals with traffic jams a lot better than TCP.

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

TCP can be tuned to deal better with bursty traffic if you prevent the
congestion window from closing on an idle connection via the
tcp_slow_start_after_idle kernel setting.  But if I remember correctly, you
have to control the settings of both hosts or it won't do much good.  And
nothing says you're not still better off using the vm transport.

Tim
On Oct 7, 2015 12:46 PM, "jonathan_at_svg" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Yes, that is the main motivation. ...that and we burst messages. Like we'll
> be sitting idle for a bit, then suddenly need to send 500 messages in under
> a second. Inter-VM deals with traffic jams a lot better than TCP.

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

jgallimore
I appreciate this is quite an old thread... but I think I have a working patch for TomEE that enables TomEE to use Artemis as a JMS provider. The only issue that I have run into is that TomEE's proxy generation effectively creates a subclass, and the 'final' modifier on org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQRASession prevents this from working.

Is it possible to remove this modifier? I created a PR here: https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1437

Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Jon

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
Will merge it shortly.

I wanted to have the cli being able to install the RA on tommee.  Like:

Artemis tomee /tomeefolder

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM jgallimore <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I appreciate this is quite an old thread... but I think I have a working
> patch for TomEE that enables TomEE to use Artemis as a JMS provider. The
> only issue that I have run into is that TomEE's proxy generation
> effectively
> creates a subclass, and the 'final' modifier on
> org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQRASession prevents this from
> working.
>
> Is it possible to remove this modifier? I created a PR here:
> https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1437
>
> Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.
>
> Jon

Re: Anyone have Artemis working with Apache TomEE?

clebertsuconic
I just requested you a change (just adding a JIRA to the commit)

and would you help us documenting, and perhaps contributing a patch to
the CLI? we can collaborate on that.

On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 6:29 PM, Clebert Suconic
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will merge it shortly.
>

> I wanted to have the cli being able to install the RA on tommee.  Like:
>

> Artemis tomee /tomeefolder
>
> On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:55 PM jgallimore <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I appreciate this is quite an old thread... but I think I have a working
>> patch for TomEE that enables TomEE to use Artemis as a JMS provider. The
>> only issue that I have run into is that TomEE's proxy generation
>> effectively
>> creates a subclass, and the 'final' modifier on
>> org.apache.activemq.artemis.ra.ActiveMQRASession prevents this from
>> working.
>>
>> Is it possible to remove this modifier? I created a PR here:
>> https://github.com/apache/activemq-artemis/pull/1437
>>
>> Any feedback is welcome. Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Jon

> Clebert Suconic

12