ActiveMQ webconsole stats

Natarajan, Rajeswari
Hi,

When I send one message to ActivemQ queue ,I see  a count in pending message and a count in message enqueued . Are they both same , I guess not.  Would like to understand why a message sent appears in both counts.

Thank you,
Rajeswari

Re: ActiveMQ webconsole stats

tabish121@gmail.com
On 04/06/2016 04:52 PM, Natarajan, Rajeswari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I send one message to ActivemQ queue ,I see  a count in pending message and a count in message enqueued . Are they both same , I guess not.  Would like to understand why a message sent appears in both counts.
>
> Thank you,
> Rajeswari

pending = number currently in the Queue
enqueued = total number of messages the Queue has seen.

twitter: @tabish121
blog: http://timbish.blogspot.com/

RE: ActiveMQ webconsole stats

Natarajan, Rajeswari
Thanks . I see pending to be smaller in number than enqueued ,how is that possible.

Rajeswari

On 04/06/2016 06:09 PM, Natarajan, Rajeswari wrote:
> Thanks . I see pending to be smaller in number than enqueued ,how is that possible.

Because you have something consuming the messages so your pending count
will go down while the enqueue count will just keep going up since it is
tracking total enqueues

> Rajeswari

So ,the total number of messages in a queue  at any point is

Pending messages  + enqueued messages + dequeued messages.  Is this correct

Rajeswari

On 04/06/2016 06:09 PM, Natarajan, Rajeswari wrote:
> Thanks . I see pending to be smaller in number than enqueued ,how is that possible.

Because you have something consuming the messages so your pending count
will go down while the enqueue count will just keep going up since it is
tracking total enqueues

> Rajeswari

May be not ,as I see one message appears in pending as well as  enqueued count.

So ,the total number of messages in a queue  at any point is

Pending messages  + enqueued messages + dequeued messages.  Is this correct

Rajeswari

On 04/06/2016 06:09 PM, Natarajan, Rajeswari wrote:
> Thanks . I see pending to be smaller in number than enqueued ,how is that possible.

Because you have something consuming the messages so your pending count
will go down while the enqueue count will just keep going up since it is
tracking total enqueues

> Rajeswari

Tim Bain
Enqueued - Dequeued - Expired = total unprocessed messages (what I would
call "the total number of messages in a queue at any point)

Messages can be either dispatched (i.e. delivered to a consumer's prefetch
buffer to be processed when the consumer is ready for them) or pending
(i.e. still on the broker, waiting for a consumer to be ready to accept
dispatch of them).  Dispatched + Pending = total unprocessed messages

So Enqueued = Dequeued + Dispatched + Pending + Expired

Note that these numbers get more complicated for topics, because the
Dequeued and Expired counts increases once per consumer who receives the
message, so for each message enqueued, it might be dequeued zero, one, or
more than one times, which makes it hard to reason about whether the number
is what you'd expect it to be.

Tim