ActiveMQ web console

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ActiveMQ web console

A.Marchand
We started a web based monitoring console for ActiveMQ using the AngularJS framework via the Jolokia API that includes most of the functions of the one included by default with ActiveMQ. It also integrates an internal stomp client. It is easily customisable to fit a particular project based on ActiveMQ. It is possible to deploy it by simply copying it in the webapps folder of a particular ActiveMQ installation. It is of course Open Source and thus feel free to contribute if you like it.


source/wiki on GitHub: https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki
live demo: http://www.pi2s.be/AMQC/    (Use the IP of your local ActiveMQ, for example 127.0.0.1 if you have a local ActiveMQ)

We only checked it with ActiveMQ 5.12, but it should be compatible with all ActiveMQ that have the Jolokia API enabled.

Hawtio is great but it did not let us have the possibility to easily customize it in order to build a simplified monitoring product for a particular customer.

Regards,
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

Tim Bain
Nice, thanks for creating this, and for open-sourcing it.

Hopefully anyone using the demo app will use it to access a dummy broker
that's been configured with a throw-away password that gets changed
immediately after using the demo app.  Providing usernames and passwords to
third parties is never recommended, even when the third party is
well-intentioned like yourself.

The wiki says that Jetty changes are required to make Jetty support CORS
authentication; would it be possible to document on that wiki page what
those steps are?

Tim
On Dec 2, 2015 8:35 AM, "A.Marchand" <[hidden email]> wrote:

We started a web based monitoring console for ActiveMQ using the AngularJS
framework via the Jolokia API that includes most of the functions of the one
included by default with ActiveMQ. It also integrates an internal stomp
client. It is easily customisable to fit a particular project based on
ActiveMQ. It is possible to deploy it by simply copying it in the webapps
folder of a particular ActiveMQ installation. It is of course Open Source
and thus feel free to contribute if you like it.


source/wiki on GitHub: https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki
live demo: http://www.pi2s.be/AMQC/    (Use the IP of your local ActiveMQ,
for example 127.0.0.1 if you have a local ActiveMQ)

We only checked it with ActiveMQ 5.12, but it should be compatible with all
ActiveMQ that have the Jolokia API enabled.

Hawtio is great but it did not let us have the possibility to easily
customize it in order to build a simplified monitoring product for a
particular customer.

Regards,




--
View this message in context:
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522.html
Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: ActiveMQ web console

Devlin
In reply to this post by A.Marchand
This is really nice!

My biggest complaint with web consoles for ActiveMQ and RedHats' A-MQ is the lack of unified view for critical metrics across a cluster of brokers. Things like process cpu load, store/temp usage, # of connections, producers, consumers, and enqueue/dequeue count are essential, and as a platform administrator, that's what I want to see in a single view, no scrolling, switching between pages, yada, yada. Not sure if JON/RHQ provides that, but those options are a bit heavy weight anyway, so we're avoiding for now.

Two questions:
1) I could not tell from the screen shots, but this tool does not appear to provide such feature, does it?
2) Is stomp.js stable? I understand it's no longer supported.

Raffi


-----Original Message-----
From: A.Marchand [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 2:55 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: ActiveMQ web console [ EXTERNAL ]

We started a web based monitoring console for ActiveMQ using the AngularJS framework via the Jolokia API that includes most of the functions of the one included by default with ActiveMQ. It also integrates an internal stomp client. It is easily customisable to fit a particular project based on ActiveMQ. It is possible to deploy it by simply copying it in the webapps folder of a particular ActiveMQ installation. It is of course Open Source and thus feel free to contribute if you like it.


source/wiki on GitHub: https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki
live demo: http://www.pi2s.be/AMQC/    (Use the IP of your local ActiveMQ,
for example 127.0.0.1 if you have a local ActiveMQ)

We only checked it with ActiveMQ 5.12, but it should be compatible with all ActiveMQ that have the Jolokia API enabled.

Hawtio is great but it did not let us have the possibility to easily customize it in order to build a simplified monitoring product for a particular customer.

Regards,




--
View this message in context: http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522.html
Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary, privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the intended recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient or their designee, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete all copies. OppenheimerFunds may, at its sole discretion, monitor, review, retain and/or disclose the content of all email communications.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

christopher.l.shannon
There was some discussion about donating stomp.js to ActiveMQ here:
http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/Code-donation-for-stomp-js-td4694260.html

I don't think anything ever came of it though.

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Basmajian, Raffi <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This is really nice!
>
> My biggest complaint with web consoles for ActiveMQ and RedHats' A-MQ is
> the lack of unified view for critical metrics across a cluster of brokers.
> Things like process cpu load, store/temp usage, # of connections,
> producers, consumers, and enqueue/dequeue count are essential, and as a
> platform administrator, that's what I want to see in a single view, no
> scrolling, switching between pages, yada, yada. Not sure if JON/RHQ
> provides that, but those options are a bit heavy weight anyway, so we're
> avoiding for now.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) I could not tell from the screen shots, but this tool does not appear
> to provide such feature, does it?
> 2) Is stomp.js stable? I understand it's no longer supported.
>
> Raffi
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: A.Marchand [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2015 2:55 AM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: ActiveMQ web console [ EXTERNAL ]
>
> We started a web based monitoring console for ActiveMQ using the AngularJS
> framework via the Jolokia API that includes most of the functions of the
> one included by default with ActiveMQ. It also integrates an internal stomp
> client. It is easily customisable to fit a particular project based on
> ActiveMQ. It is possible to deploy it by simply copying it in the webapps
> folder of a particular ActiveMQ installation. It is of course Open Source
> and thus feel free to contribute if you like it.
>
>
> source/wiki on GitHub: https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki
> live demo: http://www.pi2s.be/AMQC/    (Use the IP of your local ActiveMQ,
> for example 127.0.0.1 if you have a local ActiveMQ)
>
> We only checked it with ActiveMQ 5.12, but it should be compatible with
> all ActiveMQ that have the Jolokia API enabled.
>
> Hawtio is great but it did not let us have the possibility to easily
> customize it in order to build a simplified monitoring product for a
> particular customer.
>
> Regards,
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
> This e-mail transmission may contain information that is proprietary,
> privileged and/or confidential and is intended exclusively for the
> person(s) to whom it is addressed. Any use, copying, retention or
> disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient or the intended
> recipient's designees is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended
> recipient or their designee, please notify the sender immediately by return
> e-mail and delete all copies. OppenheimerFunds may, at its sole discretion,
> monitor, review, retain and/or disclose the content of all email
> communications.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

A.Marchand
In reply to this post by Tim Bain
In fact, the password never reaches the demo host server, because the angular demo application that you get from the host site runs in your browser. If you check the network flow from your browser, you will see that nothing is posted to the host. The angular app simply makes Rest Call to your local broker and thus the only traffic from the host server is the one used to get the html pages and scripts back to your browser. All the other connections are local connections on your own local network.

Concerning the CORS problem, I banged my head a little against the wall because the current jetty provided with ActiveMQ is not the latest one and I am not sure that it is possible to configure it to work properly (The version is deprecated). On the other hand, what we are doing with our own brokers is to simply copy the folder in the web apps of the broker itself because this way, the site that makes the rest call is hosted has the same origin as the Jolokia API. (Same port and same IP)

We will update the Wiki as soon as we find a better way to do it.

Thanks for the positive remarks,
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: ActiveMQ web console

A.Marchand
In reply to this post by Devlin
Hi Devlin,

Our console app simply retrieves most of what is accessible via the jolokia api. So if the info is not displayed in one tab of our interface it is probably not there. If it is included, displaying these particular information on a specific page is quite easy if you simply use the same system as us. Angular + AMQ Rest API. We don't use the cluster of brokers technology so I cannot really go further on this but our source code is probably smaller than 30K of javascript, so you should be able to take parts of it in order to build your own system.

Cheers,

Arnaud
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

christopher.l.shannon
In reply to this post by A.Marchand
ActiveMQ 5.13.0 has been upgraded to the latest Jetty 9.2.x version.  It
has been released and will be formally announced as soon as the binaries
are mirrored everywhere (by tomorrow).

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM, A.Marchand <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In fact, the password never reaches the demo host server, because the
> angular
> demo application that you get from the host site runs in your browser. If
> you check the network flow from your browser, you will see that nothing is
> posted to the host. The angular app simply makes Rest Call to your local
> broker and thus the only traffic from the host server is the one used to
> get
> the html pages and scripts back to your browser. All the other connections
> are local connections on your own local network.
>
> Concerning the CORS problem, I banged my head a little against the wall
> because the current jetty provided with ActiveMQ is not the latest one and
> I
> am not sure that it is possible to configure it to work properly (The
> version is deprecated). On the other hand, what we are doing with our own
> brokers is to simply copy the folder in the web apps of the broker itself
> because this way, the site that makes the rest call is hosted has the same
> origin as the Jolokia API. (Same port and same IP)
>
> We will update the Wiki as soon as we find a better way to do it.
>
> Thanks for the positive remarks,
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522p4704572.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

artnaseef
In reply to this post by A.Marchand
I like the look-and-feel of this console, based on the screen-shots at https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki.

It's very interesting that this tool works entirely out of the browser as well.

All of the information displayed is obtained via jolokia, is that correct?  And all administration also operates via jolokia?

That would be a concern for a web-console, in my opinion, which should work with any configuration of ActiveMQ, even when jolokia is disabled.  With that said, even if this is not great as a web-console, it is a welcome tool for ActiveMQ users.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

Tim Bain
The web console doesn't work with Jetty disabled, and this doesn't work
with Jolokia disabled.  Is the difference between those two statements
really as big as you've made it out to be?

The simple fact of having some well-documented dependencies doesn't seem
like a deal-breaker to me...

Tim
On Dec 4, 2015 1:52 PM, "artnaseef" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I like the look-and-feel of this console, based on the screen-shots at
> https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki.
>
> It's very interesting that this tool works entirely out of the browser as
> well.
>
> All of the information displayed is obtained via jolokia, is that correct?
> And all administration also operates via jolokia?
>
> That would be a concern for a web-console, in my opinion, which should work
> with any configuration of ActiveMQ, even when jolokia is disabled.  With
> that said, even if this is not great as a web-console, it is a welcome tool
> for ActiveMQ users.
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522p4704622.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

clebertsuconic
I wonder what will take to make it compatible with Artemis. it would
be cool as well.

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Tim Bain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The web console doesn't work with Jetty disabled, and this doesn't work
> with Jolokia disabled.  Is the difference between those two statements
> really as big as you've made it out to be?
>
> The simple fact of having some well-documented dependencies doesn't seem
> like a deal-breaker to me...
>
> Tim
> On Dec 4, 2015 1:52 PM, "artnaseef" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I like the look-and-feel of this console, based on the screen-shots at
>> https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki.
>>
>> It's very interesting that this tool works entirely out of the browser as
>> well.
>>
>> All of the information displayed is obtained via jolokia, is that correct?
>> And all administration also operates via jolokia?
>>
>> That would be a concern for a web-console, in my opinion, which should work
>> with any configuration of ActiveMQ, even when jolokia is disabled.  With
>> that said, even if this is not great as a web-console, it is a welcome tool
>> for ActiveMQ users.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context:
>> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522p4704622.html
>> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>



--
Clebert Suconic
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

artnaseef
In reply to this post by Tim Bain
Interesting point.

Jetty is a technology used by the current webconsole, so yes disabling the same disables the webconsole.  That leads to the question, "is there any issue with changing that dependency to jolokia?"

Anyway, are we even talking about replacing the existing webconsole, or did I read too much into the wording on the wiki for AMQC?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

Tim Bain
If it works better than the current web console, I'd be in favor of
deploying both and recommending the new one (and maybe eventually deploying
only this new console, if it really does turn out to be a full
replacement), once it's had a long enough shake-out period to fix any bugs
and gain confidence that it really does meet most people's needs.

But we're obviously still a long way from being ready to consider that
possibility; for now, it looks primising but is unproven, and we need
people to try it and say whether it really does work better (and how it
could be improved).
On Dec 4, 2015 10:32 PM, "artnaseef" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Interesting point.
>
> Jetty is a technology used by the current webconsole, so yes disabling the
> same disables the webconsole.  That leads to the question, "is there any
> issue with changing that dependency to jolokia?"
>
> Anyway, are we even talking about replacing the existing webconsole, or did
> I read too much into the wording on the wiki for AMQC?
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522p4704638.html
> Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

christopher.l.shannon
There was some talk in another thread on the dev list about a possible
donation of AMQC.  I had mentioned this in that same thread but if the
project does get donated I would think making it into a separate ActiveMQ
sub project would be best.  Then it could support both ActiveMQ 5.x and
eventually Artemis as well as be released independently.

Also, with AMQC as a separate project the current webconsole could stay as
is and continue to be bundled with ActiveMQ for now and if the community
eventually decides that AMQC is a better alternative after a period of time
(as Tim said, it needs to be proven and we need user feedback), then the
old webconsole could be deprecated/removed.


On Sat, Dec 5, 2015 at 12:54 AM, Tim Bain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If it works better than the current web console, I'd be in favor of
> deploying both and recommending the new one (and maybe eventually deploying
> only this new console, if it really does turn out to be a full
> replacement), once it's had a long enough shake-out period to fix any bugs
> and gain confidence that it really does meet most people's needs.
>
> But we're obviously still a long way from being ready to consider that
> possibility; for now, it looks primising but is unproven, and we need
> people to try it and say whether it really does work better (and how it
> could be improved).
> On Dec 4, 2015 10:32 PM, "artnaseef" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Interesting point.
> >
> > Jetty is a technology used by the current webconsole, so yes disabling
> the
> > same disables the webconsole.  That leads to the question, "is there any
> > issue with changing that dependency to jolokia?"
> >
> > Anyway, are we even talking about replacing the existing webconsole, or
> did
> > I read too much into the wording on the wiki for AMQC?
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > View this message in context:
> >
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/ActiveMQ-web-console-tp4704522p4704638.html
> > Sent from the ActiveMQ - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> >
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ActiveMQ web console

A.Marchand
Hi Christopher,

Nothing really new here. We are using this console for our own purpose on more than 80 servers and are quite happy with the stability of it. Do you think that it could be possible to list it as a third party monitoring console on the ActiveMQ webpage (http://activemq.apache.org/how-can-i-monitor-activemq.html) ? It would give us more visibility and a chance to enroll more enthusiastic devs in order to improve the product.

Target: https://github.com/snuids/AMQC/wiki

Cheers,

Arnaud