Quantcast

ActiveMQ master slave with data replication

ActiveMQ master slave with data replication

khandelwalanuj
Hi,

I want to use ActiveMQ's master-slave topology where one broker is master and other attaches as a slave. But we don't have any shared file system for it. I know one way to do this is with replicated levelDB but since it is deprecated, I don't want to go ahead with this. Is there any way we can do this by KahaDB  ?

Thanks,
Anuj

Re: ActiveMQ master slave with data replication

jbertram
This doesn't directly answer your question, but...

Aside from using the 5.x broker you can use the ActiveMQ Artemis broker [1].  It supports shared-nothing replication for live/backup.  See more in the documentation [2].

Justin

[1] http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/
[2] http://activemq.apache.org/artemis/docs/2.0.0/ha.html

Re: ActiveMQ master slave with data replication

Steve Hill
I would suggest checking out something like GlusterFS which created distributed replicated data. We have used it for high performant applications without problem. I am not sure how the slave knows how to not start - so this may not work for you if it is based on file locking.

Thanks
Steve

> On Apr 6, 2017, at 7:29 AM, khandelwalanuj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I want to use ActiveMQ's master-slave topology where one broker is master
> and other attaches as a slave. But we don't have any shared file system for
> it. I know one way to do this is with replicated levelDB but since it is
> deprecated, I don't want to go ahead with this. Is there any way we can do
> this by KahaDB  ?
>
> Thanks,
> Anuj

Re: ActiveMQ master slave with data replication

Tim Bain
ActiveMQ allows pluggable storage lockers (
http://activemq.apache.org/pluggable-storage-lockers.html) which allow you
to use a different technology for master election than you use for message
storage. So the inability of a shared filesystem technology to provide
distributed file locks isn't a deal breaker.

Tim

On Apr 6, 2017 11:58 AM, "Steve Hill" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would suggest checking out something like GlusterFS which created
> distributed replicated data. We have used it for high performant
> applications without problem. I am not sure how the slave knows how to not
> start - so this may not work for you if it is based on file locking.
>
> Thanks
> Steve
>

> > On Apr 6, 2017, at 7:29 AM, khandelwalanuj <anuj.cool.khandelwal@gmail.
> com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to use ActiveMQ's master-slave topology where one broker is master
> > and other attaches as a slave. But we don't have any shared file system
> for
> > it. I know one way to do this is with replicated levelDB but since it is
> > deprecated, I don't want to go ahead with this. Is there any way we can
> do
> > this by KahaDB  ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Anuj

Re: ActiveMQ master slave with data replication

Tim Bain
Also, you could consider using a RDBMS as your backing store. It's had less
tuning than KahaDB, and it's not particularly well supported on this
mailing list because I've never used it and I'm not sure if any of the
other active responders have either, but it's more stable than LevelDB and
it doesn't require a shared filesystem.

Tim