ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Arshkr
Hello,

I'm a newbie to ActiveMQ; I try to configure 2 or 3 VM ActiveMQ nodes
working as Master/slave using NFSv4. I'm reading lots of document, but it
seems I'm more confused about the vast information it offers.

If you don't mind, could you please recommend me a straightforward document
of how to start this HA configuration?

Attached is a simple diagram I try to achieve.

Thank you for your time and help.

Arron.
<http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/t379614/CSIF_-_ActiveMQ_setup.png>

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Francois Papon
Hi,

Are you using NFS to share the KahaBD directory between the brokers?

regards,

François
[hidden email]

Le 08/08/2019 à 09:02, Arshkr a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie to ActiveMQ; I try to configure 2 or 3 VM ActiveMQ nodes
> working as Master/slave using NFSv4. I'm reading lots of document, but it
> seems I'm more confused about the vast information it offers.
>
> If you don't mind, could you please recommend me a straightforward document
> of how to start this HA configuration?
>
> Attached is a simple diagram I try to achieve.
>
> Thank you for your time and help.
>
> Arron.
> <http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/t379614/CSIF_-_ActiveMQ_setup.png>

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Tim Bain
Have you read the official documentation at
https://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave? Does it
answer your questions?

If not, if you post specific questions about specific things you don't
understand to this list, hopefully we can help you work through anything
that's not clear. And if you get to the end and say, "Wow, if only that
page had told me X, I'd have gotten it right away," we can add useful
content to that page.

Tim

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019, 8:18 AM Francois Papon <[hidden email]>

> Are you using NFS to share the KahaBD directory between the brokers?
>
> regards,
>
> François
> [hidden email]
>
> Le 08/08/2019 à 09:02, Arshkr a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a newbie to ActiveMQ; I try to configure 2 or 3 VM ActiveMQ nodes
> > working as Master/slave using NFSv4. I'm reading lots of document, but it
> > seems I'm more confused about the vast information it offers.
> >
> > If you don't mind, could you please recommend me a straightforward
> document
> > of how to start this HA configuration?
> >
> > Attached is a simple diagram I try to achieve.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and help.
> >
> > Arron.
> > <
> http://activemq.2283324.n4.nabble.com/file/t379614/CSIF_-_ActiveMQ_setup.png>
>

> > --
> > Sent from:

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Arshkr
This post was updated on .
Hi François,

Yes, shared NFS file store will be a place for  KahaBD directory between the
brokers.  According to ActiveMQ, it supports NFS version 4.x; which implies
that I need to configure an additional server running NFS so the three VM
brokers can share a data directory over network.

If I choose this direction, do you know if NFS network shares writing with
some delay?

Another alternative, I think, that I could create a shared disk in ESXi and
each broker will map to this disk, but I'm not sure the file lock will work
properly.
I did a quick test as trying to read and write a text file on the mapped
drive, and both servers can read/write at the same time. Maybe I did
something incorrectly, so your expert recommendations are welcome.

Regards,
Arron

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Arshkr
This post was updated on .
Hi Tim,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have read this document before, and master/slave concept is clear to
me. My big question is on NFS shared file system where ActiveMQ is writing
data on.
I have only one option for this setup is to use NFS shared file system for
the data directory. I don't know if NFSv4 is the only option or there is
another alternative such as local file share storage vs. network file share
or not.

Regards,
Arron

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Tim Bain
Phu,

You can use any shared filesystem for storing the data, but to act as the
shared lock, the filesystem must support specific lock operations. NFSv4
supports those options. NFSv3 and before does not. Other filesystems may or
may not, though your experiment makes it sound like ESXi may not.

However, via the pluggable storage locker feature (
https://activemq.apache.org/pluggable-storage-lockers), you can use a
different technology for the shared lock than you use for the data. So you
could store your data in EXSi but use a JDBC database for the lock, for
example.

Tim

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 6:13 PM Arshkr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thank you for your reply.
> Yes, I have read this document before, and master/slave concept is clear to
> me. My big question is on NFS shared file system where ActiveMQ is writing
> data on.
> I have only one option for this setup is to use NFS shared file system for
> the data directory. I don't know if NFSv4 is the only option or there is
> another alternative such as local file share storage vs. network file share
> or not.
>

> Regards,
> Phu Nguyen.
>

> --
> Sent from:

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Arshkr
This post was updated on .
Hi Tim,

Thank you All for your help, and input.
I think I got it works. Here is my note, in case any newbie like me have
some idea where to start from :-)

Here is what I did for 3 ActiveMQ servers, and 1 NFS file server:

- Set up an NFS share server on windows 2018, and create a shared folder
name "activemqdata". Instruction on how to setup:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/nfs/deploy-nfs#deploy-nfs-infrastructure

- download ActiveMQ v5.x and copy to 3 Windows 2018 servers, ActiveMQ is
locate at C:\activemq on each server.
Instruction on how to setup:
https://wiki.eveoh.nl/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14287030

- From each ActiveMQ server, map a network drive activemqdata\ as a local
drive and assigned a drive letter. In this case, I use B:\activemqdata

- move a data\ directory in ActiveMQ installation to B:\activemq\data, and
deleted remaining "data\" on last two servers

- modify activemq.xml in conf\ directory to use kahadb in "B:\activemq\data"

- Start ActiveMQ on each server, and everything works as expected. In my
case, I have 3 ActiveMQ servers and an NFS file server.

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Tim Bain
So... You have three ActiveMQ nodes that are capable of failing over in the
case of a problem with the current master broker. That's great. But your
NFS server is a single point of failure, and if it goes down, all three
ActiveMQ servers are useless. You might want to figure out how to make your
NFS server be clustered/redundant, to ensure availability in the case of
hardware failure.

Tim

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019, 6:21 PM Arshkr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I think I got it works. Here is my note, in case any newbie like me have
> some idea where to start from :-)
>
> Here is what I did for 3 ActiveMQ servers, and 1 NFS file server:
>
> - Set up an NFS share server on windows 2018, and create a shared folder
> name "activemqdata". Instruction on how to setup:
>
> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/nfs/deploy-nfs#deploy-nfs-infrastructure
>
> - download ActiveMQ v5.x and copy to 3 Windows 2018 servers, ActiveMQ is
> locate at C:\activemq on each server.
> Instruction on how to setup:
> https://wiki.eveoh.nl/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=14287030
>
> - From each ActiveMQ server, map a network drive activemqdata\ as a local
> drive and assigned a drive letter. In this case, I use B:\activemqdata
>
> - move a data\ directory in ActiveMQ installation to B:\activemq\data, and
> deleted remaining "data\" on last two servers
>
> - modify activemq.xml in conf\ directory to use kahadb in
> "B:\activemq\data"
>
> - Start ActiveMQ on each server, and everything works as expected. In my
> case, I have 3 ActiveMQ servers and an NFS file server.
>

> --
> Sent from:

Re: ActiveMQ clustering using NFSv4

Arshkr
This post was updated on .
Hi Tim,

For NFS, I will create a cluster for that later, or I will use another
alternative which is adding a new LUN on ESXi and create a logical NFS share for all
three brokers to mount for KahaDB.

Thank you for your help,
Arron