ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

Hilderich
Hello dear Supporters,

We have already an existing ActiveMQ Broker in a OSGi container (Karaf).
Now I'd like to utilize the ActiveMQ Web Console to have an overview about
the JMS Queues we are using.
The problem is that the ActiveMQ Web Console always implements its own
JMS Broker and this one clashes with the existing one.

java.io.IOException: Transport Connector could not be registered in JMX: Failed to bind to server socket: tcp://localhost:61616 due to: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: JVM_Bind

Consequently the ActiveMQ Web Console cannot be used. I am using the following
properties in org.apache.activemq.webconsole.cfg:

webconsole.type=properties
webconsole.jms.url=tcp://localhost:61616
webconsole.jmx.url=service:jmx:rmi:///jndi/rmi://localhost:1099/karaf-root
webconsole.jmx.user=karaf
webconsole.jmx.password=karaf

We are using ActiveMQ 5.7.0 inside Karaf 2.3.1

Thank you very much in advanced.

Kind regards
Hilderich

Re: ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

Claus Ibsen
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Hilderich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello dear Supporters,
>
> We have already an existing ActiveMQ Broker in a OSGi container (Karaf).
> Now I'd like to utilize the ActiveMQ Web Console to have an overview about
> the JMS Queues we are using.
> The problem is that the ActiveMQ Web Console always implements its own
> JMS Broker and this one clashes with the existing one.

If you use hawtio then you wont have that problem.
http://hawt.io/

It does not install any broker or what so ever. It has a very thin
server layer which just integrates with JMX and HTTP REST apis.

> Consequently the ActiveMQ Web Console cannot be used. I am using the
> following
> properties in org.apache.activemq.webconsole.cfg:
>

> We are using ActiveMQ 5.7.0 inside Karaf 2.3.1

There is a couple of newer AMQ releases you may have better luck with
in OSGi using its clunky old web console.

> Thank you very much in advanced.
>
> Kind regards
> Hilderich

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

Hilderich
Hello Claus,

Thank you a lot for answering.

As far as I have evaluate hawt.io there is no feature like:

List all messages in a concrete JMS Queue and provide
the feature to delete one if necessary. ActiveMQ Web Console
give you this chance.

hawt.io provides just the raw jmx mechanisms not properly
pimped up for customers.

Kind regards
Hilderich

Re: ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

James Strachan-2
On 20 January 2014 10:42, Hilderich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Claus,
>
> Thank you a lot for answering.
>
> As far as I have evaluate hawt.io there is no feature like:
>
> List all messages in a concrete JMS Queue and provide
> the feature to delete one if necessary. ActiveMQ Web Console
> give you this chance.

hawtio lets you browse any queue in ActiveMQ; select messages then delete
them, move them or replay messages on a DLQ. Plus you can send messages
(together with use Camel to transform messages between queues).

hawt.io provides just the raw jmx mechanisms not properly
> pimped up for customers.

Did you try click the ActiveMQ tab and select a queue?

--
James
-------

Email: [hidden email]
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Hilderich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Claus,
>
> Thank you a lot for answering.
>
> As far as I have evaluate hawt.io there is no feature like:
>
> List all messages in a concrete JMS Queue and provide
> the feature to delete one if necessary. ActiveMQ Web Console
> give you this chance.
>
> hawt.io provides just the raw jmx mechanisms not properly
> pimped up for customers.

You have maybe not looked to hard. There is an ActiveMQ plugin in
hawtio that allows you to browse queues/topics. And delete/move
messages, or retry messages that ended up in DLQ etc.
As well send messages to queues/topics etc.

See for example the screenshots on the front page at
http://hawt.io/

And use the arrows to flip between the screenshots. There is some
about ActiveMQ.

> Kind regards
> Hilderich

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
Red Hat, Inc.
Email: [hidden email]
Twitter: davsclaus
Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Re: ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

James Strachan-2
e.g. here's viewing queue sizes
https://raw.github.com/hawtio/hawtio/master/website/src/images/screenshots/jmx.png

here's browsing the message details on a queue
https://raw.github.com/hawtio/hawtio/master/website/src/images/screenshots/activemqBrowse.png

--
James
-------

Open Source Integration

Re: ActiveMQ Web Console clashes with existing broker

Hilderich
This post was updated on .
Hello All,

Thank you for your efforts.

Unfortunately after starting hawt.io there was no ActiveMQ menu entry
available. Furthermore port 8080 was in use by another process on
my pc so I decided to use port 8011.

java -jar hawtio-app-1.2.2.jar --port 8011

I have read a running ActiveMQ Broker should be discovered automatically
but hawt.io did not behave so.

The best way would be to run it inside my karaf to reduce the number of
other systems but I have worries about port clashing because in Karaf
already runs paxWeb (feature war) and Apache CXF.

Kind regards
Hilderich

On 20 January 2014 11:10, Hilderich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Thank you for your efforts.
>
> Unfortunately after starting hawt.io there was no ActiveMQ menu entry
> available.

It sounds like you've never actually connected to the Apache ActiveMQ
broker process yet. FWIW 5.9.0 of ActiveMQ comes with hawtio inside. Once
started you should be able to just view:

  http://localhost:8161/hawtio

Though due to concerns over Apache branding its not possible to embed
hawtio inside ActiveMQ any more; so from 5.10 or later that won't be the
case.

> Furthermore port 8080 was in use by another process on
> my pc so I decided to use port 8011.
>
> java -jar hawtio-app-1.2.2.jar --port 8090
>
> I have read a running ActiveMQ Broker should be discovered automatically
> but hawt.io did not behave so.

Not quite; there's a Local tab in the Connect nav bar that can auto-detect
JVMs (rather like jconsole). Did you try that?

Or if you run hawtio stand alone you need to use the Connect tab to connect
to the ActiveMQ broker process.

for 5.9.0 these values should work:

  host: localhost

  port 8161

  path: hawtio/jolokia

  user: admin

  password: admin

> The best way would be to run it inside my karaf to reduce the number of
> other systems but I have worries about port clashing because in Karaf
> already runs paxWeb (feature war) and Apache CXF.

Yeah, if you're using karaf just install the hawtio feature:

   features:addurl mvn:io.hawt/hawtio-karaf/1.2.2/xml/features
   features:install hawtio

then you'll be able to reuse the karaf web port:
http://localhost:8181/hawtio/ and use the karaf security to login etc

--
James
-------